Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in identifying year/style of dining room furniture

Posted by ulla01 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 22:15

I am looking for help in identifying style/year & type of wood of this older dining room set. The table & server seem to be wood with veneer. The chairs seem to be chippendale style. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in identifying year/style of dining room furniture

The era is late 1950s to 1960s. The style is based on French Provincial. These were made by lots of different manufacturers like Henry Link, Basic Witz, Vanleigh, and others.

o

Other makers are American Martinsville, Dixie, John Stuart.

o

Thank you. I looked for identifying marks (stamp, name) on the furniture but was not able locate anything. Would you know where I could find out what the value of the set is. It includes the table, with two inlets, 6 chairs and the the dresser/server.

o

There is no particular value for this furniture, it is only what someone is willing to pay for it in your area.

I would follow pieces or sets on eBay to get a general feel for it. In my area people buy the bedroom sets in this particular style, but the other stuff doesn't seem to sell very well: it's kind of out of fashion at this point.

Here this is the kind of stuff sold to urban hipsters who want to be "ironic" and have something that is clearly furniture that came out of their grandmother's house. But they don't want to pay very much for it, either.

o

Thanks again for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here