Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What were these 2 items used for?

Posted by oceangirlme (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 22:08

We're still cleaning out my great Aunt's house and found these two items. What were they used for? The glass bottle is 18" x 8" and the metal piece is 15" x 12". Thanks!

bottle

metal thing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What were these 2 items used for?

Looks like a seltzer bottle in the top pic, missing some parts.

o

The glass bottle looks very similar to the bottles that were used to hold kerosene for cooking on a kerosene stove. It would be turned up-side-down and the metal "thingee" (sorry, can't remember what it's actually called) woud latch to a part on the stove to secure it. My DGM's kerosene stove would accomodate two of those bottles.

I'm not sure about the metal container. From appearance, I would think it would be for some type of outdoor use.

o

Regarding the bottle, here's one on eBay that has a top cap that looks quite similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Kerosene Bottle

o

The large can has the shape of a milk pail, but all the ones I have seen were stainless; but this could just be older than all of the ones I have seen. Sometimes the lids were attached by a chain so the wouldn't easily get lost.
It makes sense that the bottle is a fuel tank; the butterfly-type thing at the top looks like some kind of spring-loaded plunger valve.
Casey

o

Yep the glass bottle is for a kerosene stove...
I think the metal thing looks like a cream can....hard to tell if it has a carrying handle and how heavy it is...
Milk and cream cans were made long before they had things like stainless steel. They may have been galvanized or just steel or enamelware.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here