Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ulla01_gw

Help in identifying style/year of old Armoirs

ulla01
11 years ago

Hello

I am looking for some help in identifying where this furniture originated. It looks spanish or mexican? It has been in my family for 30 years and were told at that time that it was mexican antique. Any help is very much appreciated. I try to upload more pictures.

Thanks again

Comments (15)

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additional photo

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

additional picture

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

additional photo - we have 2 cabinets & 1 table that came as a set.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I would have to say Spanish, but i'm no expert. ;o)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Very typical of modern Mexican "rustic" furniture. I doubt it's antique, and I doubt it's more than 31 years old.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the piece, the hinges, and the inside of one of the doors?

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi lazygardens...thanks for your reply & input. I attached additional pictures of hinges and door.
    I really thought the pieces were older. We got them about 30 years ago & they already looked 'old'. Thanks again for your help.

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

inside picture

• lindac
    11 years ago

People often make the mistake of confusing "crudely hand made" with really old.
    There are many very fine, refined, precisely made pieces of antique furniture dating for, 1750....and there are also many roughly hand made things made 30 to 50 years ago.
    The hinges on your piece are modern. Not to say they couldn't be replacements, but I think Lazy is right about the age.

• texasredhead
    11 years ago

There are shops in the Dallas area that import furniture and large outdoor lighting and pottery from Mexico. Much of the furniture could be classified as rustic. Perhaps that is the charm of this furniture.

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This forum has been helpful and has great inside. I like the pieces but did not know their origin or age. thanks

• calliope
    11 years ago

Notice the fasteners integral with the body of the furniture appear to be pop rivets. Those to the doors, brass screws. A homeowner replacing old brass with modern hinges wouldn't be likely to use two different kinds of fasteners to put in one new hinge. However, that would make the doors easily removeable for shipping and reassembly, or allow it to move down an assembly line faster and leave the screw insertion to the worker installing the doors. I suspect these are factory installed and don't appear on true vintage furniture. I also side with modern 'Mexican Rustic'. Are the shelves veneered or laminated? That's another thing to look at. In modern repros of old furniture, sometimes shelves are, to cover the use of particle board construction.

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure if the shelves are particle board. Here are a couple more pictures, the first one is the bottom of the shelve.

• ulla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of side of one of the shelves.

• calliope
    11 years ago

They appear to be wood.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

The hinges have 2 different screw styles. One pair is ordinary flat head wood screws that have been in use for many years. The other pair has a square socket heads. I've seen these used on wood boats, namely, Peterborough of Canada. I think the round head screws is a misapplication. I can't tell because the screw heads are covering the hinge holes. If the hinge holes are countersunk, then the round head screws are misapplied.

A round head in a hinge of this type may interfere when the hinge is closed. The owner may have 'gotten by' by luck with this repair. The heads may have been small enough with allowance in the hinge to have have cleared the heads. The wood behind this hinge half has cracked or split and may have been repaired by gluing.