Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannchef_gw

Identifying crystal punch bowl

wannchef
9 years ago

I am trying to figure out who the maker of this set is. It is very heavy, appears to be cut and is absolutely gorgeous. It could be European.

Comments (11)

• Ideefixe
    9 years ago

It's lovely. Have you tried all the various books mentioned in another post?

• wannchef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't had a chance to go to the library yet. I will though. I am very curious about the set. I am almost sure it is German or French.

• PRO
    1001Shops LLC
    7 years ago

It 's could be Poland or Czech. They are famous for making Crystal dishes.

• PRO
    1001Shops LLC
    7 years ago

This particular one looks like Poland or Czech from our experience and being Eastern European citizen in the past

• PRO
    1001Shops LLC
    7 years ago

It does not look as Italian, Italians making very high quality crystal glass in small quantities

• lindac92
    7 years ago

I am sure you know all about it from being "Eastern European citizen" but there are many Italian makers who make tableware other than Murano. Here's one example!
    http://www.prismcrystal.com/italian-crystal-vases

• PRO
    1001Shops LLC
    7 years ago

That is what I meant , Italians is not Eastern Europeans, as you possibly know and being in business for 15 years and going to the European( Milan including) Market shows we saw a lot of glass and yes Italians produce crystal but very high Quality and we believe this bowl is not Italian

• apg4
    7 years ago

It may be helpful to determine if the glass is soda-, lead-, or heavy-leaded crystal.

In trying to date some Bohemian stemware, the Rakow Museum curators in Corning suggested I determine the specific gravity of the glass. Remembering my chemistry from back in college almost 50 years ago - yeah, I can do that....

Use Archimede's Principle to determine the *volume* of the piece. Select a proper vessel to hold the object and add enough water to cover. Mark that level. Then submerge the glassware and mark that level, too. The difference in the two will be the object's volume in cubic centimeters.

Now weigh the object. Divide one by the other and the result is the specific gravity in grams per cubic centimeter. Soda glass will be on the order of 2.4 g/cc. Leaded glass is about 3.5 g/cc. Heavy leaded crystal will be 4.5+....

With this info, I was able to identify my stemware as Bohemian, 1840-1850. Sadly, no one is buying clear bohemian glass these days....

Cheers

• lindac92
    7 years ago

However.....leaded glass will "ring" when tapped.....eliminating soda lime from the consideration of it rings....and leaded glass or heavy leaded glass is no guarantee of country of origin. Both Irish adn American brilliant cut glass are heavy leaded.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

I can't tell from the photo if these are cut or molded glass. It appears molded. The edges of the cuts will be sharp for cut glass whereas molded will have radii.