Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juju0532

jacobean dining chairs

Juju0532
11 years ago

I am considering purchasing this set of eight dining chairs to go with a table of the similar era. Apparently there are 3 of the 8 chairs that need new rungs and nails.

I would love some opinions of the history/value...

Comments (6)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Link???? Picture????

• Juju0532
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops...not good at this stuff!!! What do you think Lindac? There are 8 of them...leather in good shape...a few with missing rungs and nails...
    Going to go see them in person tomorrow...

Julie

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

When you say missing nails, do you mean the decorative tacks over the upholstery?

Whether you should do it depends on several things. First is the cost, including the repairs.

Second is what kind of shape they're in. I have two sets of similar chairs, except that the backs are carved and/or caned, and they get rickety. Quickly and easily.

Third is the the size of the chairs, in proportion both to the table and to the people sitting in them. Your table is very substantial. I'm not sure these chairs match it. This style tends to be rather small, although there are exceptions. Full-bodied people may not feel secure sitting on them.

Other than that, these are sweet chairs. Do you think the leather is original, or were they originally cane-seated and -backed?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Without seeing closer, I can't tell you if they are very old...or merely old. They are Jacobean style, and I find that style comfortable and freankly I think it goes with lots of styles.
    chairs are not hard to "firm up"...mostly they need a bit of glue in the joints. I see one is missing the cross brace, which will make it wiggley.
    And I don't know what the asking price is.
    BUT....there are 8....and any time you find 8 chairs all alike....that's a good thing!
    If the upholstery on all is in decent shape and is leather...I would think that $750 to $850 would be a good buy....a very good buy!
    Linda C

• Juju0532
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you Chib and Linda C for your knowledge!!! The chairs are very small...I am 5'5" and as you can see in the picture they are too small for me...and some doggy "chew" damage. The leather is in great condition...only slight wear...
    I was disappointed...$500 for all 8 chairs..
    They are not usable for dining...seats are 15"x15"...18" seat height...

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Well, I actually like dog-chew (patina! history!), but the size is a real problem. I'm so sorry.

I have seen similar sets on auction at eBay, and often quite cheaply, but you might run into a similar problem with some of them if you're are not close enough to try them out in person.