Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Fireking Jadite? Anybody Collect?

des_arc_ya_ya
21 years ago

I have probably two hundred pieces. Does anyone collect? I'd love to trade sources and do some "manic collector" talk with a fellow Jadite lover!

Comments (39)

• trekaren
    21 years ago

I have fallen back in love with FireKing although my family pieces were not jadite. And also old Pyrex.

I was collecting Barbie's but my Holiday collection is complete. And I am now switching gears to glassware. Not much help to you as I am a newbie to it, but I just think nothing holds a candle to the old, great pyrex and fireking pieces, as far as beauty and style goes.

I am thinking of asking for some from my dad for Christmas. He sees a lot at the garage sales and antique stores in his area (Memphis).

• lkgrace345
    21 years ago

YaYa, that's one of the things that I haven't kept over the years. Not that I don't appreciate it, I've had pieces and I've sold pieces (wish I knew you collected it then.) The hard thing for me is that I just like old "stuff". I hate to see anything with "history" lost so I collect and if I don't keep it then I try to make sure...or rather hope...that I get it into some hands that will protect and keep it forever.

• trekaren
    21 years ago

Don't you think the older stuff is just made better, too? That's part of the reason I'm falling back in love with the older glassware. Think I'll go hit some shops this weekend, in fact. All this talk is making me want to treat myself to a new (old) piece.

• Cherryfizz
    21 years ago

I have some FireKing pieces but not Jadite. I have a huge and I mean huge collection of vintage Pyrex pieces.

I don't see much Jadite around this area when I go to the resale or thrift shops. I wish I could find it.

Anne

• Kevin_S
    21 years ago

I have a few pieces. I love the color. A little pricy now....don't you think?

• thecactuslady
    21 years ago

Jadite is through the roof! I collect many things although Jadite isn't one of them. I also sell antiques and collectibles and find that aquiring Jadite at a reasonalbe price to resell is very difficult. I have been totally STUNNED at the prices it has brought me. While I haven't found any pieces lately, I know that there are tons out there just sitting in boxes in the dark, cobwebby corners of someones basement and attic. Keep going to those yard and estate sales and sooner or later you will get lucky! If anyone starts collecting Jadite, do your home work as I am beginning to see reproductions out there! Cyndi

• lisazone6_ma
    21 years ago

Hey all - just found this site.

I collect Jadite. I don't have that much - it's become much harder to find and the prices have gotten completely out of control. I love the color tho. And the pieces are so well made. I'm trying to put together a complete set of the Jane Ray pattern and I have assorted mixing bowls, some of the really heavy restaurant pieces and other odds and ends that I come across that are reasonable in price.

I like some of the other Fire King line as well. I'd kill for the Kitchen Aid range set or the "dots" mixing bowl set. The ones I see cost a small fortune!!

• momcat2000
    21 years ago

in the kitchen cabinets at my church, there are over 1000 pieces of jadite, chop plates, different size plates, oval servers, cups, saucers, etc all in beatiful condition. this stuff is used maybe twice a year. i told the cafeteria lady that one of these days, she's going to open the cabinets and all the jadite will be gone. as a favor to the church, the local antique mall has offered to place the jadite in a locked case to sell and will only charge 10% comission. i do wish the church would take the mall up on this offer, having all that jadite around makes me nervous....... also, did you notice in martha stewart mag, her daughter got rid of all her jadite? i hope the bottom isn't dropping out, but them that would be good for all who collect and use jadite because they love it, not because of how collectable it is

• lisazone6_ma
    21 years ago

momcat2000 - I got some pieces of Fire King Blue Sapphire, a few small bowls and some custard cups, from my husband's family's church!! I think there are probably alot of church kitchens out there that are loaded with that stuff. And I would love if the bottom fell out of the jadite market lol!!! I collect a bunch of different things - and like you said, it's because I love them, I could care less what they're worth - except for the fact that I can't afford alot of things I'd like anymore!!

• avajo
    21 years ago

I collect glassware but I have no idea what jadite is so I don't even know if I have any.I have just begun to pick up a few things that were interesting to me.Does anyone have a picture so I can see what ya'll are talking about? Thanks-Ava

• trekaren
    21 years ago

If you scroll down on this link, you'll see some great photos of FireKing Jade-ite, as well as Fenton and others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jadite

• bouncingpig
    21 years ago

I have a large collection of Jadite, but started collecting it about 11 years ago when no one was. So I have actually purchased mugs for as low as . . . get this . . . 5 Cents! I remember paying $2.50 each for 4 mugs at an antique show 10 years ago and feeling so guilty! Now they are worth about $20! There are still some pieces I would love to have, but doubt I will ever be able to afford them. Thanks a lot Martha! LOL!

Brenda

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    21 years ago

LOL bouncingpig, can relate to what you're saying. Bought my first "cheater" type mug at a garage sale for 50 cents and my DH likes to tell people that it was like drugs from then on for me! LOL

I do have a butter dish, one with a clear lid, not a Jadite one. I also have all of the swirl mixing bowls except that little expensive, rare one. Would love to have a Restaurant Ware demitasse saucer. I have the cup. Finally got them back into their cabinet after several months of redoing the kitchen and I've fallen in love all over again.

• CatBallou
    21 years ago

Hi - This is sort of a tangent. I don't collect jadite, but love green depression glass and cream and green enamelware. In the past ten years, in either "Country Living" or "Country Home" magazine, there was a big article about a woman named Karen somebody who had these things in her kitchen, but mostly jadeite. Which is where I first became aware of it. I would love to see the article again. Did anyone here see it and by any chance remember which magazine and what issue it was in? Chances are slim, but I thought I'd ask.

She had tons of jadeite, plus the depression glass and cream and green enamelware. Thanks!

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I think I kept part of that article. I'll look and see if I can find the source. Cross your fingers...

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Nope, when I read your description, I thought I had the right article in my head, but I was wrong. The one that I have is from Country Living, October 1997. There's a lot of Jadite and green enamelware, but no cream. Sorry, but I'll keep looking.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Are you sure the owner was a "Karen"? I found one that was a "Katherine". LOL Wonder if magazine editors know that we inspect their magazines so carefully? LOL

• CatBallou
    21 years ago

Hi, Des Arc Ya Ya - No, I'm not at all sure it was a Karen. Could have been just about anything, really.Just trusting my very faulty memory.

The 1997 date sounds right. Let's see...in the article, the jadite collector's husband was in the service and she starting liking the jadite while living on one coast. They had rented their house while moving around. When they retired, they returned to the west coast and even though husband didn't want to,they moved into house and redid it. I hope that memory is correct.

Maybe my memory's fault again regarding the cream enamelware. Please check again for me. Thanks so much.

Please tell me anything you can find and I thank you in advance! Ya ya!

Cat

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Nope, no enchilada! I'm sending you an e-mail however. Sorry, I tried! LOL

• blueheron
    21 years ago

I have seen new Jadite at Linens 'n Things, a store at a local shopping center. (I think it's a chain store.) It is very reasonably priced. Does the fact that it is being remade depress the price of the older Jadite dishes?

I know a dealer who sold Franciscan dishes and when certain patterns were reissued, she stopped selling the early ones. People weren't going to pay for the old ones when they could buy brand new ones, even if the older versions were sturdier.

• diene
    20 years ago

Just received some jade ite and coppertint french casseroles from the basement of a friend's deceased Grandmother. They are in the original boxes and unused. They used to own a store and apparently these were pieces that never were sold. The three Jade Ite sets are a batter bowl complete with the label bragging about it being designed to hold a boxed cake mix and three storage containers that have clear glass lids. Two are square and one is a rectangle. The french casseroles all have lids. Has anyone ever heard of these sets? Thanks. Kathleen

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Yes, Kathleen, I've heard of them. Have my Fireking book loaned out right now or I'd try and give you an idea of their value. Sorry!

Blueheron, the new Jadite pieces seem to have in no way affected prices of the old. Others may disagree, but I see a vast amount of difference in quality, esp. in color, between the old and the new. JMHO

• sylviatexas1
    20 years ago

Kathleen,
    My grandmother had those square & rectangle containers with lids.
    She called them "refrigerator bowls".

• lissa
    19 years ago

Oh gads - I don't even know where to start with the Jadeite thing...
    My Aunt Diane had these old Jadeite salt & pepper shakers that she used for eons before good 'ol Martha. I loved that color, and when I discovered eBay, I found a way to get the same thing..........except it was a heck of alot more expensive than I thought it would be!
    In the end, I had a full set of swirl bowls (including the 5"), the pitcher (no not the ball one), and everything else you could imagine.
    We had a house fire, and lost everything.... the insurance company does not understand why they should pay more for the stuff I had, rather than buying the reproductions at Linens & Things.
    I guess they are looking at Jadeite as beeing a "martha thing", and they don't want to pay for the trend,

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Awww, man, Lissa, I hate to hear that. Would they not accept receipts for what you paid for it, etc.??

I've often wondered if I need to get an insurance rider (?) for mine. A lot of it I got for good prices, but the replacement would be horrendous!

• jewbleens
    16 years ago

JADITE IS GOING TO BECOME MORE SCARCE IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS. I SELL FIREKING AND MOSTLY PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES ARE BUYING UP AS MUCH AS THEY CAN. OTHER FIRE KING PATTERNS, SUCH AS, AZURITE BLUE SWIRL AND PINK SWIRL ARE BECOMING DIFFUCULT TO FIND. JANE RAY JADITE IS STILL EASY TO FIND BUT ALICE IS VERY SCARCE. ALSO MCKEE JADITE'S LAUREL PATTERN IS VERY SCARCE. BUY UP ALL YOU CAN. IN 10 YEARS IT'LL ALL BE VERY SCARCE. MORE SO THE FIRE KING AND MCKEE JADITE I MENTIONED ABOVE.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Jewbleens. I saw some Alice plates the other day and passed them by because I already own several. Maybe I should have snatched them up...?

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

My MIL has enough place settings of Jadeite for at least 20 with sauce dishes, bowels, plates, salad plates and all the extras, incluging the hobnail pitcher. She uses this as her everyday dishes and we use them for meals when ever we are at her house. I love those, and told her someday I have first dibs.

Stacie

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I don't have jadeite, but I picked up the cutest black dot Fire King bowl last week end. Like TREKaren, I've fallen in love with the old pyrex pieces and I'm still using all of my own from the 70's. I only buy things that I can use, I don't have that much space to display and using them and mixing them with my regular dishes is part of the fun. Now I'm on the look out for more of the Fire King polka dot collections.

• neesie
    16 years ago

I don't collect anything, but I do have a few Fire King Jadeite pieces. I love the color. I drink my coffee every morning out of a Jadeite "D" coffee cup.

Did anyone notice that Dan Connor (on the Roseanne show) used to drink his coffee from a green jadeite restaurant mug?

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Yes, Neesie, I had noticed that.

• peegee
    16 years ago

After all these years I still love jadite!! I collected mine years ago, and can still remember how distressed I felt when a friend and fellow collector alerted me to to Martha Stewart's articles about her vast collection...sure enough, in no time at all, prices skyrocketed! I simply cannot use all the excess that I have (it was an addiction), and certainly, after moving to a small home, I have no room for it all, so most of what I have sits around in boxes, waiting for me to figure out what I'm going to do with it. I just don't have time or the inclination to deal with E-bay, at this point. I still cherish and use peices everyday, esp. restaurant ware, and I have no doubt that I always will. And there is one type of Jadite I'm still interested in obtaining that I never got (a few large flat soups)!!. My favorite and most special peice is a large ball pitcher 7 and 1/2" tall and 8" wide overall - it's smooth - Stacie, I've never seen a vintage hobnail jadite pitcher, I'll bet it's beautiful! -Penny

• nc_matt
    15 years ago

Don't know much about these old green dishes. From this site I suspect they are "Jane Ray" pattern. The back says Fire King (in script) OVEN WARE MADE IN U.S.A. Have about 44 pieces from Mom - she thought they were from late 1940s. What else can you tell me about them?

• charmion
    15 years ago

I am looking to buy Jadeite if anyone has some for sale Restraunt Ware from 40's, 50's and 60's.

• chinesejadeshop.com
    15 years ago

how about this site: ChineseJadeShop.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Jade Shop

• jaditekate
    15 years ago

i have a few restaurant ware pieces as well as jane ray. they are all available and reasonably priced at: www.jaditekate.etsy.com

Here is a link that might be useful: jaditekate

• brk574_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a Jadeite butter dish that I am looking for the clear glass top that goes with it... anyone have one that they would like to sell/trade??? brk574@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Ben

• mmuia_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a Jadite stand mixer with juicer and mixing bowl. Anyone know the resale value???

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH