Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ipen_gw

Antique silver spoon markings - any info?

ipen
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me identify the markings on this silver spoon.
Specifically, I'm trying to find out how old it is. Other info is appreciated.

Sorry for the bad pic. Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

This post was edited by ipen on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 20:19

Comments (19)

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate message

This post was edited by ipen on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 20:20

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

We would really need a close up photo of the actual markings to be of any help.
    Have you Googled silver hallmarks? There are a lot of online sources which could help in this matter.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok thanks I'll look up those hallmarks. I'm basing it off of a seller's image, so not much I can do to improve the close up.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Any chance of seeing the front of the spoon, might be able to tell what country it is from.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's from the US. I'll try and post a better pic today.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the spoon's front. Can anyone identify how old it is?

I know on the spoon it says "Gettysburg 1863", but I think it's just a souvenir.

Perhaps it's not of the period but still really old (e.g. first half of the 20th century); or maybe it really is from the 19th century.

This post was edited by ipen on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 20:52

• justlinda
    9 years ago

My guess is that it's a souvenir spoon that has lost is top "finial". It definitely has very old style script. Canadian here, so can't add much about Gettysburg 8^)

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good point about the end possibly being broken off. The spoon is really short - should probably be at least 6 inches in length. I actually like the look of it now, just wish it was 2 inches longer.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Looks like it could be like this one...only the one you show is missing the top part.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gettysburg spoon

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost - it must have been a popular style, or the same maker.

Regarding the original post's picture, I still can't make out what the symbol is on the back. It does say STERLING on the back.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone know which alloy of silver can create that bronze-like color? I'm not sure it's just patina... thanks in advance.

• justlinda
    9 years ago

This link gives a little information re the gold colour on the spoon

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold color on sterling silver

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure it's gold plated or filled.

I'm wondering if it's like German (nickel) silver or some other silver alloy that turns into a bronze color, dependent on the % composition by varying the amount of copper. If that's the case, I'm wondering what silver-to-copper (or other metal) ratio achieves that look.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I think I found the answer... fyi for those of you who are curious, liver of sulfur in a lukewarm/cool solution should be able to change the patina color of silver to a bronze color I believe.

• antiquesilver
    9 years ago

Whiting made several variations of the 'twist' pattern around the end of the 19th century; their mark was a standing lion with a front paw on a ball enclosing a 'W'. I can't tell from the photo if it's their mark or not so this is just a guess but it's almost certainly American.

The gold color on the bowl of the spoon is a gold wash, for decoration as well as a protection against excessive tarnish/pitting caused by certain foods such as egg yolk.

• ipen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - gold wash looks to be correct after a quick internet search. It looks as if the sterling silver tarnishes and mixes with the gold color to create a bronze-like color (or maybe that's what gold wash looks like).

I'll look into Whiting to see what they have. Thanks again :)

This post was edited by ipen on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 16:39

• Brenda Franson
    5 years ago

I would like to know if these silver spoons are worth much? There is a B on the bottom of handle. brendafranson@live.ca

• Jim Mat
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Brenda, the spoons are worth ~$5-10 each, retail would be $10-20 each.

eta: based on ~8” tablespoon, sterling silver, qty 2. Worth is what I would expect to sell it for, price is what I would expect to pay a retailer.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

Brenda....what is the marking on the back? and how big are the spoons...more to the point how much do they weigh.
    If they are sterling and tea spoon size, they are worth about $15 to $30 each depending on the desirability of the pattern. If they are serving spoon size, they may be worth as much as $60 each....again dependingon the weight. If they are plated, they may be worth $1 to $5 each...again depending on the desirability of the pattern.
    What is the mark on the back? and how long are they.