Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lewisdc

Old desk

LewisDC
12 years ago

Hey, all. I found an old desk in an alley. I was wondering if anybody could help me perhaps find out the time time frame of it or maybe even the manufacturer. There is a stamp number of 641 on the back and what looks like it could be a manufacturer's mark? But it's a long shot cause it's just almost like a streak. I took a picture of that anyway lol I took it apart looking all over the inside and all over the drawers to no avail. I've uploaded some pics to PhotoBucket. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l634/Lewis_Crise/?albumview=slideshow

Comments (12)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Ironically, with all the pictures you missed some of the most important.....a picture of the top surface, the dovetailing on the drawers and the inside of the piece.
    It appears to be a pretty basic 1940's kbneehole desk....appears to be mahogany veneer.
    Linda C

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think it's cuter than average. Love the little rope trim crossing the drawers as well as the kneehole. If you refinish it, do keep the cat off until it's dry! :P

• LewisDC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll get pictures of those too now lol Thanks for the info provided already ^_^

• LewisDC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't think the last message posted. So here it be again. Hopefully am not double posting. Thanks, Fori! It was hard to get her off just to take the pics, so they the ones of the surface may not have turned out very well. :( http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l634/Lewis_Crise/Old%20desk%20dovetailing%20and%20insides/

• lindac
    12 years ago

Nice desk....well made...not "old" but nice.
    The finish is a mess....but that can be fixed....and structurally it appears in good shape....no loose or missing veneer...
    Good "buy"!! LOL!
    Linda C

• karinl
    12 years ago

What a fun project! It's structurally perfect, just a refinish needed. Very nice piece indeed. I wonder if it used to be a vanity; would have had a mirror on it. If it's 18" deep or less I'd guess vanity, otherwise desk.

Karin L

• LewisDC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, Linda I made a discovery that I did not see before or get in the pictures. There is a bit of missing veneer and directly adjacent it looks a bit loose on the left side top surface. I shall have to find out how to repair that before refinishing methinks.

Definitely a little more than a foot in my estimation, Karin. But I don't guess that would stop someone from sticking a mirror up there and using it as a vanity. lol

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Nice, probably 1930s, and if you look carefully at the top you may see the marks where a vanity mirror was mounted. Those I've seen like that were originally vanities, not desks.

They clean up nicely, and yours looks in good shape. It's definitely worth cleaning up and even refinishing.

• karinl
    12 years ago

In an earlier thread, linked below, there was some discussion of how to repair lifted veneer. Missing veneer would obviously require you to buy some new veneer; should be some wood specialty shops around that you can scope out. STILL a fun project :-)

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion - no picture

• LewisDC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank ye, Karin and all. I fully intend to restore this desk. Sometime in the future when I'm not so busy with the toils of life...:)

• nicole__
    12 years ago

I have a similiar one I got FREE off CL. The handles are solid brass hepplewhite. The front is a "Bow front". One of the pics you took show holes for a mirror...it WAS a vanity.

Mine was missing a little veneer and DH repaired it. Here's a before & after of my desk. Yours can be beautiful again too!

After: 1940's Mahogany Kneehole Vanity(being used as a desk)

• LewisDC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow that is similar. Though mine has more detailing :). I wonder if they were manufactured by the same people. Very interesting piece. Very nice, Nicole. Thanks for sharing!