Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dejrfan2000

Identifying an old coal stove/ heater

dejrfan2000
9 years ago

Can anybody identify this old cast iron stove/heater. Manufacturer and maybe about what year they were made. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Did you goggle this? Looks like it says Use Chestnut Coal. Would that have a special meaning? I did some quick checking as we use to have wood stoves in CA and my grandparents cooked by wood stove. so they fascinate me.
    Did not find one like your picture, but did find something you could check up on
    Antique Stove Hospital--don't know where it is
    Barn Stable Stove Shop
    Bryant Stove Store, possibly in Maine
    Hope this helps out
    Marie

This post was edited by marie-ndcal on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 14:15

• calliope
    9 years ago

Yes, coming from coal country, I'll answer that. Chestnut coal describes a size and grade of coal. It's anthracite coal in a specific size and burns HOT and needs a special type of clearance for a proper burn. That will not help you determine the manufacturer, since it's like a label over your gas tank telling you to fill with unleaded. ;-) The stove is in pretty danged pristine condition from the photograph. I have not seen a stove manufacturer yet who did not stuff an identifier somewhere on their product. Is this the only writing you see on this unit?

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I can not tell by this picture, but there seems to be cast in lettering on the ash clean-out door. However, that may be instuctions.

There should be another door for loading coal, Is it the top piece with lettering, "Use Chestnut Coal"? I note there is a dovetail slot suitable for inserting a handle in it.

I grew up with coal and wood stoves. A popular place for displaying the manufacturer's name or model was on one of the doors. On a kitchen range, it would be the oven door.

Somewhere on the stove there should be an adjustable draft control. if there is none, then the draft control would be a damper in the stove pipe. All the stoves we had and in my neighborhood had two draft controls: one in the lower part of the fire box and the second in the stove pipe. Successful operation depended on masterful use of both dampers.