imusthavecoffee

Any vintage barbie collectors?

snowglobe
10 years ago

I have just a few vintage 1960s-era barbies in my collection:

A #3 blond ponytail
A #4 blond ponytail
A #5 brunette pony and #5 blond ponytail

Still looking for a bubble cut and an American girl and maybe a Ken...

Just wondering if anyone else collects and what you have.

Comments (3)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have a platinum Barbie with the short bouffant cut. She would have been from the first edition of her type. She was in perfect condition in the case with her clothes (an unbelievable number of original clothes-late 50s/early 60s vintage) and shoes until my younger sister allowed her daughters to take everything from the attic at my parents' home. Most clothes are now gone, no shoes, and the hair color has darkened some. So mad! Also, had my old Ken with fuzzy yellow hair. When I finally insisted she return them both, she sent the dark-haired Ken with 'painted-on' hair and very few outfits. To top it off, sister thinks I am unreasonable for being irritated. Her girls already had more than 50 Barbies from the 90s and their mother's doll from the 50s. Why was it necessary to wreck mine by tossing her in their Barbie barrel? Sigh.

• snowglobe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG CYN427 --that's really too bad. The first edition bubblecut would have had the shorter, tighter cropped bubble which is my favorite and the one I am looking for.

I don't blame you one bit for being upset about it. Those dolls certainly have value, sentimental as well as $$$. I would like to find a dark-haired Ken with the flocked hair, but with the majority I find, most of the flocking has fallen off.

I don't still have my bubble cut from that era, but do still have some of the clothes, many are pretty worn because I played with my barbies A LOT... probably everyday back then, I still have the prom dresses with the netting, the wedding dress and a few other outfits. They were all handed down to my younger sister and I was VERY lucky that she took very good care of my things and my mom set aside the proper dolls/toys when we moved out on our own. It was easy for her tell which originally were mine because my sister and I are 9 years apart.

I love the vintage clothes, I recently bought the nurse outfit, stewardess outfit and the barbieQ apron with the cooking utensils--ADORABLE. Always looking for vintage barbie stuff--its a fun hobby.

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

sometimes there are good buys on the etsy site for Barbies for vintage items.