Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gradyk_gw

Would like help identifying this chair!

gradyk
14 years ago

Can anyone help me identify this chair? I picked it up at a flea market in western Massachusetts and it had come from an estate sale in central/northern Vermont.

{{gwi:1393359}}
{{gwi:1393360}}
{{gwi:1393361}}
{{gwi:1393362}}
{{gwi:1393363}}

Comments (5)

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's a beautiful Victorian Walnut balloon back chair.
    About mid 19th century....VERY nice!
    Linda C

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Linda, I have similar chairs. Can you tell me what the stuffing in the seats is? It's definitely not anything like foam. Could it be horsehair? TIA

I'm also wondering where your expertise in antiques comes from. Your knowledge is very diverse, from glass to furniture.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Most likely horsehair...or possibly excelsior! I have a settee or sofa of much the same period that was stuffed with excelsior...I had it re done...and maybe the excelsior is still in there...?
    I am no spring chicken...I have been studying old stuff for a lot of years....and...frankly I am smart and remember a lot of what I read....if it's interesting to me!!
    But don't ask me about the articles of the Confederacy or the lineage of the kings of England!! LOL!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Linda, thank you~i'm no spring chicken either, but love just about anything antique or vintage, just don't know too much about them. I've taken a space at an antique mall in Austin since I had a few collections(and lots of other things!)I wanted to 'rid myself of'. I've also started going to auctions, and find this to be entertaining as well as a learning experience.

I have a vintage settee also, but it has down as the filling. By the way, what *is* excelsior? ;o)

• lindac
    14 years ago

you are more of a "spring chicken" than you let on!" LOL!
    Excelsior is that sort of shredded wood stuff that many used for packing, stuffing, and padding.
    Sometime in the very early 60's I wanted to make birds nests for decoration....and had the idea to use excelsior and wet it with dilute Elmer's glue and mold it....but by then I had to look very very hard to find any!
    I'll bet that settee has been re done.
    Linda C