Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Mikimoto?

joyce_6333
10 years ago

My husband purchased this strand of pearls for me in the late 60's when he was on R&R in Japan. I'm sure he wouldn't have paid a lot of money for them because as a young Army officer, he didn't have much. When I received them I didn't even know the name Mikimoto, so probably threw away any paperwork of boxing that came with them. The clasp is silver, and I think they made clasps in silver about that time. The infamous "M" appears on the clasp.
Anyone familiar with Mikimoto and could advise me if these are the real thing. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Most likely they are. I lived in Japan when I was a young girl and cultured pearls were one luxury available for a very modest sum at that time. I used to spend my allowance at a little stall where for a small sum a vendor would open up an oyster in front of you from a large tank and whatever pearl was inside was your's whether perfect, or not white or blue. I have them still in my jewelry box, and had one made into a huge, lovely ring. The post exchanges were a treasure trove of locally produced items, free of the customs fees.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Real cultured pearls, and from the knotted string, a good necklace.

• calliope
    10 years ago

That is definitely the Mikimoto trademark. Pearls are graded on various qualities, just like diamonds. The price of rare metals were also a song, compared to today. One can buy a pretty necklace with less desirable pearls at more modest prices, but Mikimoto sold only fine ones. It would still not have been a cheap purchase even in the sixties, given the wages then. Somebody loved you.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope, that is such a sweet thing to say! Put a smile on my face.

I would imagine the value is lessened by not having the box or certificate anymore, but I will still treasure it.

Thanks everyone for responding.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Look closely to see if there are any hallmarks on it pertainingto the metal. Mikimoto usually used white gold.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope: At first I thought this was a clue that it wasn't a real Mikimoto. Then I did a little research and found out that they indeed used silver during the late 60's. And on the clasp below the "M", it says SIL. I know most of Mikimoto's are gold, but since DH purchased this during the time they used silver, maybe it is real. Well, low end for a real one, but still real. Still not 100% sure, but leaning that way.