Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying these rings?

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 18:09

These rings were passed down to me and I don't know anything about them or their worth? Anyone have any clues?
The eagle is sterling according the mark inside. The owls hold a ruby that is cracked and maybe left that way on purpose looks like initials insisde maybe D.L. but not sure and the small ring...deco? Not sure what the metal or dark blue stones are though. Thanks!
IMG_3879

IMG_3876

IMG_3875

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying these rings?

Gem stones can not be evalutated at a distance and with poor photos. Its too difficult to tell the difference between quality stones and costume jewlery, except for highly recognizable designs. Its too bad the red stone is cracked, but it may not be ruby. Look at it carefully. Are there any scratches on it? If so, it is probably not a ruby. (A ruby is a red colored corrundum, a very hard stone.)

The first ring with a flat top reminds me of a "seal" ring whose purpose was to impart an impression in hot sealing wax for sensitive letters.

The owl ring is a lovely design and is worn. The band my be a gold alloy. Is there a mark inside the band denoting the amount of gold in the alloy. It would read like 12K or 14K (24K is 100% gold). Although an article at 18K gold is considered quality, it is becoming too soft for a ring band.

The white band is interesting. It could be platinum or silver. If it is platinum, chances are the stone is a real gem too because one would not bother with expensive platinum to mount and ordinary costume stone. Some blue, commonly faceted stones are:
Tanzanite
Spinel
Sapphire (natural and lab grown)
Zircon
Diamond
Cubic Zirconia (most often, a lab grown stone)
Iolite

And then, there is colored glass often found in highschool class rings.

o
RE: Help identifying these rings?

Ring #1 is often called a signet ring, a google search will bring up similar items. Rings 2 & 3 do appear to be of some quality, the center stone in #3 if a diamond does appear to be a brilliant cut which is a more modern style of cutting the facets in the stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here