Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabethel

rocker worth re-caning?

zabethel
13 years ago

Not too sentimental about this rocker but am curious what kind it is and if it's worth it to pay to re-cane the damaged seat. It looks like it's hand-caned so it will probably be very expensive to repair. Also, any suggestions on what to do with it if I choose not to repair it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr photos of rocker

Comments (11)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I never re-cane anything unless the caning has broken apart. Yours looks to be in pretty good condition, although maybe there is a little sag to the seat. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Do wipe the caning down with a damp cloth (I use a wash cloth) now and then.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the chair. I think it is a nice, simple rocker. Perfect to save and give to a daughter or DIL when a baby is born!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Recaning is expensive. (I remember years ago that they charged $1 a hole.) Your chair is lovely and definitely worth hanging on to or finding a home for it within your family.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Absolutely worth re-caning! It's what is known as a Lincoln rocker...the original style dated to the Lincoln era...but has been reproduced many times by many people. It's a very comfortable chair....
    But why does yours need re caning? The seat looks a little saggy but a spritz with some water should tighten it up, or turn the chair over and lay a damp towel on the bottom of the seat until it dries.
    UNLESS....it has been re-caned with plastic...!
    Re-caning is not rocket science, not hard and doesn't need any experience to do it. It's just drudge work. You can do it yourself if you really think it needs to be re done.
    Linda C

• zabethel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. It's hard to tell from the first two pictures, but there is broken cane covering about 25 square inches in the center of the seat. I've posted another picture. I guess I have to decide whether to keep it and do the re-caning myself or find a new more industrious owner.

Here is a link that might be useful: cane damage

• lindac
    13 years ago

Put a cushion in the seat....that has years before it gives way.

• zabethel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I will do.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

Although I don't know exactly how to do it, I understand this can be repaired by splicing in new cane.

• zabethel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to know.

• mistyk74525
    13 years ago

I've re-caned chairs before. As Linda said, it isn't rocket science, and in fact the antiques restoration shop I worked for put me to doing that as a 'first job'. Caning comes in sheets now. You trim to fit your seat with a little over hang. There's a strip of round wicker that mashes into the channel and pushes the caning in. A thin bead of wood glue in that channel does wonders. Soak the wicker stuff in hot water to soften, smash it in with a spoon like everyone has in their kitchen. Let it dry a day or two, and stain. That's about it. Bear in mind, that's not step by step, fully comprehensive instructions. But my point is, in the words of the Geico commercials, Its so easy, a caveman can do it.

PS. I have also rebuilt antique wicker furniture, say when the dog chews a hole in the arm of a loveseat. Not hard either, and uses the same stuff you mash off into the channel to hold the caning into place on a chair back or seat, wood glue, and a little hot water. ;-)

Good luck with it, whatever you choose to do.

• lindac
    13 years ago

However....the OP's chair is not the sort where you can use prewoven cane...it has holes and must be woven in place....which is not rocket science but tedious.
    Linda C

• mistyk74525
    13 years ago

Ah, good point. I feel like a doofus. LOL

And, tedious, yes, but I bet it would be relaxing to work on while sitting under a shade tree on a sunny autumn or spring afternoon. ;)