Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cderu

Any Idea what this ?Majolica? vase planter thing is?

cderu
12 years ago

My mom says its been in her family for a long time and keeps saying its Majolica any idea?

{{gwi:1393208}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (11)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Majolica simply means that it's an opaque glazed pottery.....and it sure appears to be that!
    It looks to be American art pottery from the early 20th century....likely Weller. Is it in 2 pieces? Any chips or cracks? any markings on it anywhere? maybe the pedestal and the bowl did not originally go together?
    At any rate it's very very nice!!
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

I don't think it's Weller.

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

You're so lucky to have both pieces. Usually one or the other gets broken. Any marks on the bottom of either piece?

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Weller has a similar 2 piece thing called a Jardiniere & Pedestal page 717. That 1 is not your pattern tho. There is a mug listed as Oranges that is similar colors to painting of the top bowl. Antique Trader Pottery & Porcelain Ceramics guide 2006. So they did have a bowl on top of a pedestal but I don't think yours are oranges as orange leaves don't look like that.

• cderu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. It is two pieces. It says Wardle England under both pieces and under the top piece it says 2261.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Google Wardle Pottery Jardiniere or even just Wardle Pottery. Maybe if you reference the number in a search, there might be some specific info.

• mfrog
    12 years ago

If you "google" Wardle jardiniere on stand, the first image to come up is the same as yours. Check carefully on both pieces to see if they have a signature. Fredrick Rhead became art director around the turn of the century & if it has his signature the value goes up significantly.
    I've sold unsigned Wardle jardinieres on stands for around $600-800.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Good job. I didn't think it was Weller..doesn't look typical of it. Weller did make a line titled Majolica and I am very familiar with that pattern, but it doesn't look anything like the picture.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I thought it could be Weller Dickensware....but couldn't find any pictures of that pattern. No, certainly nothing like their majolica line

Here is a link that might be useful: Dickensware

• Fori
    12 years ago

So...what's it for?

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's a jardiner....a planter.