Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify lamp please

Posted by kede341 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 17:09

I have two of these lamps. They came with small shades that I don't believe are original. I was told they are Mantel lamps. They were hard wired into a fireplace mantel in an old house. A regular light bulb screws into the top.

They are bronze color but under the base they are silver. The details on the lamp(roses and leaves) are painted but seem to be fading in places. There is a small mark on the bottom(see pic) which is a wreath and banner with a N. They also say "Made in the USA" and "PAT ?1-22-21. They are 11" tall and pretty heavy.

I have been trying to identify these for a couple of years. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify lamp please

Pretty. No idea as to maker. Does it matter?

o

That's what I was thinking. What you may find is that the maker of these might be more in the 'fixture' business than some famous lamp maker. By fixture, I mean this lamp evidently was meant to complement and be built into your house's interior. Have you ever seen an old house with the lamps on the end of the newell posts of a stairway?

I've not seen lamps built into the mantles of fireplaces, but I don't see why not. One of my previous homes, built in the Edwardian era, did have at one time a light built into the post at the bottom of the stairs. So, it may be just a piece of house hardware fixture.

It is quite pretty, btw, and pretty authentic to the dates you mentioned.

o

I have seen more than a few houses with hard wired mantle "candle sticks". These look to be maybe 1915 or so....likely white bronze ....an alloy of tin, zinc and ??? often used for cast items.
It's been years....I remember my uncle's house had those mantle lamps....but not with shades but with amber tinted bulbs.

o

There is no way they're going to be circa 1915 with a patent date of 1921

o

LOL! Well likely not....perhaps they are 7 or 8 years later than I said.

o

hmmm...per the link below

Application No. US 439286 A filed on 22-Jan-1921
Inventors
CAWLEY ALOYSIUS J

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylight-projecting system

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here