Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just couldn't resist.

Posted by sam_md (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 17:03

The auctioneer said "high bidder takes his choice", when I said $20 he said SOLD. I held up 4 fingers and took all four. LOL
They came out of an estate with many nice things. These were packed away and hadn't seen daylight for a long time.
They are sort of turn-of-the-century, quadruple plate New Amsterdam & Rogers Silver Co's, about 9" tall.
What would you call them, did they have a special function?
When were they customarily used?
 photo 10-08-13001.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just couldn't resist.

here's a similar one without the spoons...

Description
Marked Sheffield Plate with a frieze of flowers below the 12 spaces for spoons, a bird finial atop, 1880-1910 era, no dents or glaring problems, 10" tall to the top of the birds tail by 7" wide from handle to handle.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoon holder/sugar bowl

o
RE: I just couldn't resist.

These were in vogue late 1800s to very early 1900s. They were not inappropriate for setting out at a tea, and some sources say that when silverplate became affordable for the 'masses' that many women would use them so show off their fancies,and leave teaspoons out with the sugar bowl when the other flatware were kept in drawers. They tended to come into use later than the 'spooner' but are a form of them. A spooner was a fancy cup in which teaspoons were presented at meals or teas. I did a little Google and came up with this, evidenty a popular pattern at the time. I have seen them in old catalogues and they came in all qualities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian spoon holders

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here