Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage lamp "made in Italy" any thoughts on maker or timeframe?

Posted by gretchenf (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 16:59

I purchased this lamp outside Albany NY. It is made of cast brass, hand-forged wrought-iron, faceted crystal, and has an 18" diam marble table in the center. It is absolutely enchanting but the only clue I have to its origin are a stamp on the wooden base "made in italy". Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to find some clues?? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage lamp "made in Italy" any thoughts on maker or timefra

I would put it about 1970's when those lamps with the built in tables were popular.
Are you SURE the iron is hand forged and the crystals faceted?
Is there any marking on the electrical fixtures where the bulbs go? What sort of bulbs does it take?
Linda C

o

Thanks very much for your response. Upon examining the light fixture, it is marked "Levitan 250 watt" The socket itself does appear to be a new edition, but I am very uncertain...

I am not sure it is hand forged, it just appears that way. I am certain of the materials, however. The crystal segments were coated in red film... they appear to be faceted, but could the be cast somehow?

Your guidance and input is greatly apprecited, thank you.

Gretchen

o

The red crystals are "flashed" that is coated with a sort of paint film....and I really don't think that iron is "hand wrought".
The crystals most likely are molded glass.....they don't appear to be cut...or faceted.
A 250 watt light bulb indicated a fairly new origine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here