Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eosinophil

shopping in Iowa

eosinophil
13 years ago

I'm new here, but I've learned so much from other gardenweb sites, I hoped maybe you could help me, please!

I've moved to Iowa City, Iowa, a couple years ago and have been trying to furnish and decorate my home. I love antiques, but really prefer to see things in person before buying. I've gotten stuff off the internet, but you never really know til it gets delivered if the item is really what you want, you know what i mean?

Does anyone know anywhere around here for antiques / vintage items, particularly furniture? I've been to Kalona, but really, it's mostly knick knacks and kitsch, not a whole lot of furniture or decent things. I've eyed a few auctions, but they are much more "miss" than even "hit and miss".

I go to Chicago, but it is a haul (and things are PRICEY!)

Anybody with any suggestions? My poor house is bare!

Thanks for any advice; I'm looking forward to shopping!

Eos

Comments (7)

• lindac
    13 years ago

I am a little less than 100 miles "up the road" from you.
    What sort of antiques are you looking for? Iowa primitive walnut and oak or Victorian walnut and marble?
    Your best buying trips will naturally be auctions. Read the newspaper...the CR Gazette, but even better the Des M register's Sunday ads.
    Find an auctioneer that you find fair and follow his ads.
    Banowetz Antiques in Maquoketa is huge....pricey but if you can't find it there, it's not to be found.
    Happy hunting!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop

• eosinophil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Linda!

You weren't kidding about the prices at Banowetz! Yowza!
    Do they have more than what's on the website? Maybe I'll hike up there tomorrow just to look around.

The hard part is I'm looking for a bunch of different stuff; I like a mix of styles and periods. So typically, i go to a store or site and see a bunch of things all of one style, I get sick of it and end up not getting the one item for my house!
    (I'm an AWFUL shopper, but that's a separate issue!)

In particular, I need a few floor lamps. I like older slag lamps or mid century / Nessen / Laurel ones.

I need to get some nightstands for our bedroom - probably something relatively simple / streamlined, preferably walnut or at least coordinating with it as our headboard is plain walnut planks.

I'd love an old marble - topped end table, (saw one on Banowetz' site - 5K!!!)

I'd love to get a few other case pieces or tables - a console table, a nice bookshelf or a couple end tables

At some point, I need to replace our dining furniture, but I'm not sure with what!

I have four dogs, so tend to shy away from "shabby chic"; it ends up just looking trashed!

For outside, I love primitives and old farm stuff (after all, it's Iowa!!!) as well as the classic more formal urns and such. Again, I love the mix!

I also, generally, don't like oak - just one of those things!

Thanks for the suggestions for the CR / DM papers - I didn't know about those and will check them out! Any other suggestions are welcome!

Eos

• lindac
    13 years ago

Have you been to Amana? How about Pella? Monticello has at least 3 shops. Ladora? The bank there was a shop but think it's now a restaurant,
    Washington?.....and Iowa city is pretty good pickings! Watch for estate sales.
    Good luck!
    Linda c

• Miss EFF
    13 years ago

Amana has an amazing shop ... across the street from the meat market .. privately owned and begins with an E. Erlagers ... something like that? For a smalls ... I like Fern Hill in South Amana (i think).

I love the Antique Extravanza in CR. West Branch has one of the best collection of folk art at Main Street Antiques.

Sister's Garden on Rt 1 can be good for small items ... I have gotten some of my favorite pieces there. But it can be hit or miss. I like the Junk Asylum in Park View (near Davenport)... a little more Shabby Chic but I still come home w/ too much.

The Maquoketa Flea market is great sometimes. You missed the last What Cheer flea market of the year. They have one on the first weekend of May, August and October. There used to be a huge flea market on the 4th of July in Solon ... it has gone down in size but still very good.

I have found good antiques in Muscatine. Manley's is good. But go down Rt 61 to Fort Madison if you are up for a drive... shops open and close all the time but I always come home with a full truck!

I live near Davenport ..... and I antique/junk a lot. If you catch my blog (not an advertisement! I don't care who if anyone reads it ... but check my tags for antiques.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Effie's Diary

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

If you're in for a 3 hour drive, there's a wonderful antique place in Belmond, Iowa. Most of their stuff is "as is" but the prices are reasonable. They go to a lot of antique shows so you'd need to call ahead to be sure they're there.
    http://masoncity.craigslist.org/atq/1991736355.html

Email me from my home page if you want some details.

On my list is a couple of places in Osage. I haven't been there yet.
    http://masoncity.craigslist.org/atq/1983519840.html

Or http://masoncity.craigslist.org/atq/1983426366.html

There are also a bunch in Clear Lake but I haven't been in them for years. Might be time to revisit.

• aimless
    13 years ago

Hi! I have lived in Iowa City and surrounding areas for almost thirty years. I live in Kalona now. (i agree). My sister and I are into antiques and collectibles. We do a few flea markets (as sellers) during the summer and sell some on Ebay. Anyway, having been in the area for many years, we may be able to help you locate some different items. We have been everywhere! If interested, get in touch. Always nice to meet people with common interests. Have a great day!

• jacknifeben
    13 years ago

find me some old knives while you are out there. the older the better.