Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How old is it?

Posted by idie2live (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 16:37

Some years ago a friend gave me a sofa that I think is 'Duncan Phyfe style'. Then, earlier this year I happened across a table that seems to match it. Could you tell me a little about them and how old they might be?
TIA, Loretta
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How old is it?

Duncan Phyfe style has been made since mid 18th century....and reproduced ever since.
I suspect the sofa is late victorian...ab out 1890 to maybe 1910...more perhaps a few years later.
But that table appears to be made from one single board on that leaf...coule that be? Or is it just artful veneer?
Where did the table come from? And how about a close up of the end of a leaf and a picture of the whole top...
And you are right Duncan Phyfe style.
Linda C

o

Linda, I took more pics. There is a closeup of the edge. I think it is veneer.Also there is a partial label underneath. It says "JB Sciver, NJ"
I googled the name but have not find very much info yet.
The sofa was free, the table was purchased at an antique mall for $150.00. It is in good shape with a few scratches and dings. The PO said it had been refinished to the lighter color at some point. The leaf was not refinished and is the darker color.
Photobucket
A pic of the top
Photobucket
the edge of the leaf
Photobucket
Loretta

o

Very nice....but as I suspected, artful veneer.

Well worth what you paid....needs a little gentle restoring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here