Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wobbly1905

Oak Desk With Typewriter Roll Out Shelf

wobbly1905
12 years ago

Any help identifying the approximate age of this oak desk would be appreciated.

{{gwi:1392967}}
By wobbly007 at 2011-10-31

{{gwi:1392968}}

{{gwi:1392969}}

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• justlinda
    12 years ago

My best guess would be circa early 1950's. I had one (which was called a secretary's desk) when I started working in 1960 and it was about 10 years old at that time.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I've seen desks like that well before 1950....but can't say at the earliest.

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Any ideas of a reasonable asking price range? We are "upgrading" from this one solid oak desk to two new Dania Melamine over MDF desks, and due to space constraints we need to sell it. I doubt that someone will be asking 60 years hence what the Dania desks are worth. They will have been resting in a landfill long before then. Of course by then there probably won't be landfills.

• karinl
    12 years ago

They do change hands for money, but around here people give them away too. Various iterations of the classic oak office/teacher's desk are literally a dime a dozen around here.

Not to be discouraging, but if you really want to move it, aim low.

Karin L

• sweeby
    12 years ago

We sold that EXACT desk on Craigslist 1-2 years ago and got (I think) $150 for it.

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the price information! Hey, I've already sold it for an outrageous price to a gentleman from Nigeria. Of course, he needed some of my personal data to fill out the cashiers check, which should be arriving any day via UPS.
    A Google search found that the verbiage used by the scammer was used in hundreds of other scam attempts.

Meanwhile, my brother received an urgent message from the UK supposedly sent from our sister-in-law. She had been robbed in London, and was at the airport waiting for him to send funds for a ticket home. A phone call revealed that she was still in the USA and had never left home.

• karinl
    12 years ago

Was this after you listed it on craigslist, or just from your posting here?

A remarkable number of our friends and acquaintances have been allegedly stuck needing money too... They all send the same message :-) (for the gullible among us: NOT).

Karin L