Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Goebel hummel figurines

nanny2a
13 years ago

When my 86 year old grandmother died in 1980, she left for me 5 hummel figurines by Goebel that she'd collected in her lifetime. They all have the Goebel mark and numbers on the bottoms. I know just the basics about how the hummel figurines got their start, and clearly don't know enough to determine whether or not these are of any spectacular value. What is the best resource to determine if they have any value at all, and if so, where would you recommend I try to sell them?

Comments (16)

• calliope
    13 years ago

Their value fluctuates, and is all over the board depending on the age, the design etc. My mother also collected them when we lived in Europe and some of her pieces are rather valuable. I don't know what you consider spectacular value, but three figure anyway. They'd be of interest to a specific audience and you probably shall have to find some way to interface with groups of Hummel collectors. I have no intention of ever selling those I inherited, knowing how much pleasure they brought my mother. When distributing her estate, I try to look at who would appreciate 'things' as opposed to money so that her items won't be sold.

• blueheron
    13 years ago

I looked up Hummels on eBay and the prices were all over the place. Some of the more expensive ones didn't have any bids or they were listed "Buy Now" with no takers as yet.

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, thanks for the info site. I will look into this more throughly. I've seen them on Ebay, and also at several auctions I've attended, where I was shocked at some of the prices they sold for! Naturally, I'd like to find someone who really appreciated and enjoyed them to sell them to, but then again, I don't want to be "taken", if any of them are of significant value. While I appreciate my grandmother's affection for them, they don't affect me the same way, and I have plenty of other items she gave me while she was living, that I truly do value.

• lindac
    13 years ago

How old are you do you have children? Grand children? Nieces and grand nieces?
    if you sell them I predict in 5 years you will be sorry.
    What are the names of the pieces you have?
    Linda C

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've done some researching around, and know one thing, I'll not sell the adult size 17 piece Nativity collection that we have. I neglected to show a pix of that because it's in storage with our Christmas boxes, and I do display that in a lovely arrangement every year. That set is quite valuable.

The other pieces are "Aufwiedersehen"," Playmates", "Coquettes", "We Congratulate", and the "Baker". I do have adult children, who presently have no interest in them, two male grandsons, and twin boys due in February. I guess I could save them, in case someone develops an interest in the collection, but right now all that's collecting is dust!

• lindac
    13 years ago

If every grandmother got rid of stuff that was collecting dust, other members of the family wouldn't have any family antiques.
    Get rid of junk but save things that have value.

• wendy177
    13 years ago

Lindac do you really think the higher value of HummelâÂÂs will ever return??? I have over 78 HummelâÂÂs and a very reputable auction house in Boston told me I would get maybe $1,500.00 for them ALL!!! Very disappointing Not that I want to sell because I donâÂÂt they came to look for insurance purposes. I have done my research and book value for them all is around $35,000.00 big difference from what they told me todayâÂÂs value is.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yes....they are beyond "collectables". they are fine porcelain with nice (even if cute) art work. They are NOT Precious moments or beanie babies.
    BUT know the difference between the ones marks with i m Hummel and those which are not and certain "hummel" items made by Schmidt.
    Linda C

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

Here we go again! Precious Moments are porcelain bisque which is hardly in the same catagory as beanie babies.

Now, the unfortunate reality is that ebay has effectively lowered the bar for Hummel, Precious Moments, and virtually all collectibles of what ever ilk.

Basically, folks have tried to sell their "collections" to raise cash with the accompanying market glut. That's why Hummels with a book value of $35,000 are selling for $1,500. Bottom line, are you so anxious to sell your pieces that you are willing to accept a mere fraction of their value?

• David Johnson
    8 years ago

hello everyone, I am selling a Fairly large collection of Hummel's, that my neighbor inherited, there is Several that are super collectable, such as little goat herder, for father, and many others, so I am trying to sell them as a lot versus parting them out, we live in florida and there is hardly anyone in this state who deals in them, so looking for some help

• blueheron
    8 years ago

Sorry to add your Hummer post, but I can't find a post about about china in the post. It looks like young people are not interested. I have a beautiful set of Lenox Westwind for 8. I am thinking about sending them to a Stock for sell but I know that they are just not interested in young people. I have sent others items just recently and curious to see what also that but I doubt anything will be really be sent. I have the set of 8 us much too heavy to try to mail anybody but I think it would sent by one plate or one dish. In that one Somebody needs a plate, Not pieces of that by one cup or dish, etc.,

I have a coffeepot Stangl perfect have again know if anybody is interested. Stangl used to be very popular but it went south like some other china.

• lisaholt03
    6 years ago

Has anyone see a vintage Hummel Trademark that is the full bee but also has "(R)"? I have looked everywhere but cannot find what this means and cannot find another example of it. My mother has 3 figurines that she got in Germany in the early '50s

and I believe they are trademark 2, but I still cannot find this mark. See photo

• voila
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This site mentions the full bee mark along with an "R", which denotes Registered.

http://www.soldster.com/learn-about/Article.aspx?id=9

• Doris Livezey
    5 years ago

My mother had a "Hummel" that is unmarked. She purchased it in 1936, way before the Chinese were making reproductions. Apparently it has only value to the family since there is no Goebel marking. Has anyone seen any that are unmarked.?

• lindac92
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If it's unmarked it's not a hummel....in 1936 there were cute little figurines that were not Hummels. The first Hummel figurines were made in 1935 in Germany....and stopped during the war....and after the war ended in 1945 began again being introduced and were sold in the US and brought back by returinign GI's.
    All hummels are signed on the base with Marie Innocentia's signiture .."M.I.. Hummel".