Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Treadle Sewing Machine

jenangelcat
13 years ago

I just bought a treadle sewing machine. I can barely make out the word "reliance" on the machine. The instruction booklet is missing the cover I have no other details.

Does anyone know what model it is and it's age?

The photos are on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: treadle photos

Comments (6)

• calliope
    13 years ago

There used to be a lady who frequented the quilting forum and went by the name of Damascus Annie. Whoa boy, did she know her treadle machines. She would have been able to tell you anything you wanted to know about it. I have an old Ohio Farmer Machine, and it is very like yours in the tension design and it wouldn't surprise me if it were made by the Reliance Company either........who did make machines under different brand names. Mine also comes with a host of accessories and I use it and in fact learnt to sew on a treadle machine. It's what we had in school....sort of like learning to drive on a stick shift.

Does this one have a round or shuttle type bobbin? The cabinet looks more modern than mine and I'd guess my machine is a late 1800s model by the ornate gilt designs and wrought iron gingerbread. Your's looks like it may be as late as early 1900s and it is in quite good shape.

Can't tell you more than that, but a serial or model number would help. It should be somewhere on the sewing head, and engraved in.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I learned to sew on an old Singer treadle machine. My father's aunt had had it, and it became my mother's. We all loved the treadle as it was so easy to control. Our machine was made in the late 1800s.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

What a beautiful machine!

I'm betting that the lady who has the site linked below can help you and will either have the specific manual for it, or will have one that will help you. She helped me determine which machine I have...and I'll be ordering a printed manual from her.

Her email addy is on This Page

Here is a link that might be useful: The Treaders Village Manuals

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

When a young tot, I began sewing on mom's treadle Singer. I find that the speed control on treadle machines are superior to the ordinary electric resistor control. Those old machines were well built and performed well for single needle work. The main drawback is that special stitches are not available.

The drive belting is supplied as a cord. You'll have to custom fit and link your belt. The old fashion belting was made of leather or similar material. A metal crimp link was used to fasten the ends together. You could use a special crimping tool or a couple of pliers.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I ordered some leather for the belt from ebay. The previous one had a staple in it but the leather was old and it snapped. It's too short now to use.

I guess I can't sew knits on this eh, just regular fabric?

The manual is a pretty amusing read. There are lots of extras with it. I can't wait to sew!

I can't find any numbers on it anywhere.

• calliope
    13 years ago

You have a boatload of accessories with this machine and you'll find your sewing repertoire won't be too limited. Even electric machines when I was young came with the accessories instead of dials and I sewed everything I ever needed on them.

You did good getting a leather belt. It's hard to get them now and many places are substituting rubber belts instead. They don't work nearly as well. It's easy to install a new belt. I have done several with a little sewing awl and the head in a down position until I had the tension adjusted.