Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about old floor lamp and cleaning finish

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 13:40

I saw Marita's post and thought I would see what some of you think. I got this for $8 and have seen them restored. I thought I would try my inexperienced hand. I have not posted here much but am hoping for your advice. I am going to rewire and found what I need at Paxton's website. I have cleaned so far with very fine steel wool and Pam. That worked well. I then used Brasso. This is where I am so far. A magnet does stick. Thanks in advance, Caroline

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

have done nothing to this area:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about old floor lamp and cleaning finish

Looking good...
Put a little brasso on the steel wool and rub, then wipe off with paper towel.
Also Barkeepers friend cleans brass....it's slightly aprasive....so don't rub hard....but it contains oxalic acid which removes tarnish.
Linda c

o

Hey Linda...is this brass plate then ? Since it is magnetic? I already tried the steel wool and Brasso...this is how it looks after a good scrubbing. I am thinking I should have left it alone after the Pam and rubbing...it looked like oilrubbed bronze with highlights...sigh...I have Sophisticated Solutions in oilrubbed bronze so I can add the patina back I think.

Anyone else with ideas...I am so glad to have suggestions. Caroline

o

I wonder if it was plated at all--might have just been a faux-brass finish, which the brasso began to remove. I'd try the Sophisticated Solutions, I think. I had a lamp like this and if it was plated, it was a really thin layer. I just wiped it clean and lived with the patina, such as it was.

Annie

o

A mgnat sticks to a ferrous metal...or something that has a ferrous metal core...
A magnat will often stick to the thin uprights on an old brass bed, because there is a steel rod inside for support....brass bends easily.
I suspect your lamp base is what used to be known as "white brass' a copper alloy containing a large amount of chrome, I think it is....and some zinc.
I think it will polish up more....but it will then be "silver-ish" and if you want it patinated, you will have to let that happen.
Better natural than out of a bottle in my opinion...
Linda C...NOT naturally blond any more! LOL!

o

Thanks linda and annie I had the SF here and just used it. It turned out fine. Not the same as the original but better than what I did to it. I now know to never use anything but oil and fine steel wool...that gave the prettiest finish. Live and learn. Here is how it looks now. It is really hard to get a good pic.

Photobucket

o

Looks great!
Now what is the white? Glass? or marble?

o

linda it is marble. I also got one with a beautiful huge glass base that was $8. I have started cleaning it also. It is not as ornate at all and not as pretty metal but the glass base is so yummy...so I will post tomorrow. I had no idea I would enjoy doing lamps...thank you for your support. c ( I haven't been on Cooking in ages !)

o

That really turned out very nicely, I think.

Annie

o

thank you Annie. I was happy with it but I sure did learn a lesson. No more Brasso til I have tried just the oil. c

o
question about old floor lamp and cleaning finish

I bought an old brass lamp that has turned a greenish color on base. Does it make it move valuable with the color of green at bottom or should I clean it and if so what with? Thanks

o
question on lamp made by westwood

i have a lamp that has the following on a label
Underwriters Laboratories Inc
Portable Lamp
Issue # 44640 Westwood Industries, Inc. New York, NY

does anyone have any information on when it was made or what it is worth. it is very heavy. i think it is brass.

o

The UL tag simply means that the wiring was inspected by them and found safe....says nothing about who made the lamp.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here