Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Can someone tell me the value of this print?

joyce_6333
11 years ago

We've been cleaning out several storage areas in our home, and I found this print that I purchased at Goodwill many years ago for $2.00. It's signed and is 462/950, by the artist George Kovach. Obviously I've never done anything with it. Probably never will, so thought I might sell it. It is in perfect condition with the certificate of authenticity. It is "sold out" on every website I've found; I did see a website that wants $25 to tell you it's value. Anyone here have any idea? Thanks much!

Comments (8)

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's a photographic reproduction, likely an ink jet print.
    He is an artist who aimed his art at the masses. He has a formula...old vehicles, bright colors, points of light....and a huge edition.
    They sure have not held their value as any gicle will not. It might be worth $25 well framed....as it is...you might be lucky and get $5 for it.
    Linda C

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda. Was hoping for a little more than $5.00. I thought perhaps it might be worth a little more because of the original signature, its size, and being a lithograph. But to be honest, I'm totally illiterate when it comes to this stuff. Appreciate your feedback. I always trust your opinions. Looks like it will go back to Goodwill!
    Joyce

• lindac
    11 years ago

is it a litho or a print???How do you know it's a litho?

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Certificate of Authenticity says: "This print has been reproduced from the artist's oroginal painting on the finest pH neutral papers using the offset lithography process with light-fast, fade resistant inks". Goes on to say "each print has been personally inspected and signed by the artist. All plates and negatives in the production of the print have been destroyed and no future print editions of "Boys of Summer" shall be pubished"

• lindac
    11 years ago

Off set litho....not the same as stone lithography....
    I did a search of sold George Kovach prints on ebay....and those that were sold were in the neighborhood of $10 to $15 range.....those asking more were unsold.
    So you may be able to get $15 for it.
    But....excuse my rant....but those "artist signed authorized limited edition prints"...in editions of 1000 or there abouts are the biggest scam of all. People buy them thinking they are getting something wonderful, a piece of "art"....and it's just a print! And it's usually the wildly popular faddish artists that do that....P. Buckley Moss, Kincade and many of the wild life artists. Dome of the artists actually do do an original print or 20....and those hold their value....but then they go on to authorize a thousand or2 or 3 of just "Artist approved" prints.
    You got a helluva buy!...your picture is easily worth 3 or 4 times what you paid! Any time you can do that....it's good!!
    Linda C

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If it suits your decor, frame it and hang it.

But with a certificate of authenticity that says "This print has been reproduced from the artist's original painting on the finest pH neutral papers using the offset lithography process with light-fast, fade resistant inks" It's a mass-produced print.

Offset lithography sounds impressive, but it's just a printing process done with a huge mechanical press. And 6 colors of ink.

What you have came out of the same printing press as any other poster.

I've seen the process, back when I was responsible for printing use manuals. My printer also made most of the low to medium volume "art prints" sold in the area because their press was ideal size for runs of 50-1000.

They took a really good photo or scan of the painting, separated the colors and made the printing plates, and printed copies. Then someone from the printer's staff inspected the copies (they had a machine that could compare the original with the print and separate those that didn't quite match).

The actual artist time involved is scribbling a signature, because the numbering is often done by a hired hand. The "personal inspection" is usually limited to "Yup, that's a print".

The xxx of yyy numbering DOES mean something with true lithography and true etchings, because the print quality declines with each print. But an offset litho press can make several thousand copies before you spot any degradation at all.

I'm not dissing artists who sell prints - it's one way for them to make gas money at art fairs, selling prints to people like me who can't afford their originals - it's the ones like Kincade and Kovach who issue these certificates implying that it's something special that bug me.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Thanks Lazy....
    And those "collectors plates"....complete with "certificate of authenticity"....and most of the stuff from the Hamilton Mint...
    If you are looking for a "collectable"...look very carefully at how many were made before you plunk down any money. Scarcity is what makes things worth more. They's why things like old toys in the original box are worth so much....because people usually tossed the box, why a 1963 Barbie complete in the box is so valuable.

• nyboy
    11 years ago

Great learning thread thank you