Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Estate Sale Managers, are they a crock?

bossyvossy
9 years ago

At the insistence of my friend, I have been to three of these so-called estate sales and have been utterly disappointed. What's the deal? Here are my issues:

1) Staffers are rude. At the 3 diff places I made offers (not lowball but lower than marked price) and the negative response really took be aback. The staff seemed insulted, as if offering a lower price was an automatic offense. Isn't the BASIC premise of commerce that seller wants high and buyer wants low and you compromise? Have people forgotten that there are polite ways to say NO?

2) In one particular case, I knew the family. They hated garage sales and wanted somebody experienced in pricing, showcasing, handling the various chores. Seems logical to me. Problem is: 50% of the stuff was from other sales that the company had not sold and wanted to present once again. Seems logical but is that in my best interest as the person that hired them? Isn't their old stuff competing with my estate items? I don't get it

3) Out of curiosity, what do these people charge. I can see in the not too distant future wanting help getting rid of my familys stuff but having had three negative experiences, I'm wondering if this is the way to go.

Your comments, one way or the other, will be appreciated.

Comments (2)

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Weigh your time and energy against the disposal of personal property in an estate. Have to be realistic too; people don't pay for sentiment and chances are good there's no killing to be made either by yard sale, auction, or by estate sale. And yes, everyone takes their cut. But when it comes to the disposal of a lifetime of possessions sometimes it's just best to have them gone without all the trauma and drama.

I've only had one experience with an estate company and was quite satisfied with it. While alive, I had the financial POA for a very elderly, very well to do Aunt. One of those old school types who trusted everyone would do the right thing. Her finances were a mess; took me nearly a year to go through boxes, tax returns, etc. to get a handle on her holdings; not to mention finding and consolidating accounts scattered in multiple banks in two states.

After her death, an estate appraiser came in, priced everything and bought the whole lot - lock, stock, and barrel - and carted it all away off site to do with as they wished; cleaned the place spotless and locked the door on their way out. Felt their price was more than fair.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I'm in So.CA. & have had experiences similar to poster. Some are rude & act like you are in the way. Others are nicer. Recently went to 1 & later went to same house, didn't realize it until I stepped in LR. It was all different people & they were nice, not rude like 1st ones mostly were. So either the estate people had several more workers & sent different ones or family got different company to take over. It was more organized & ladies were nice & helpful. They had brought in stuff & that happens quite often probably with more experienced estate sellers. If it is well organized & sellers are nice I enjoy looking around. Might end up with a very heavy metal wind chimes for $5 with faded sticker & 5 metal birds & great sound, had to hang it where I wouldn't knock myself out tho. That was not there before!