Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_ks

Depression bowl

joann_ks
12 years ago

I bought this at a garage sale and want some information on it. It has no chips, but has some wear around the bottom of the bowl. It is 7 1/2" wide and about 3" deep. I know it is the green parrott depression.

this is the bottom

It is very heavy and I couldn't find it on e-bay.

Comments (23)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Why do you think it is Green Parrot pattern? Looks nothing like it to me.
    I think it looks like Georgian Love Birds also by Federal Glass.....early 30's.
    What do you want to know? It's a bowl!
    Linda c

• joann_ks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know it's a bowl, I'm not stupid. Maybe it is the Love Birds, sorry I asked.

• nicole__
    12 years ago

Manufacturer Status: Discontinued Actual: 1931 - 1936

Pattern: GEORGIAN-GREEN by FEDERAL GLASS CO [FEGGEOGR]
    Description: GREEN, TWO BIRDS DEPRESSION GLASS

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacements LTD.....cereal bowl....$25.99

• lindac
    12 years ago

Not a cereal bowl....too big for that. It's one of the "various bowls" they talk about when they tell what was made in that pattern. Probably the large berry bowl.
    I am puzzled when someone posts a picture of an item, says it's green depression glass, names the pattern (even though it's the wrong pattern) and says they want "information". What "information"? Who made it? When?...a quick Google search will tell you all, unless you have the pattern name wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgian love birds

• joann_ks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Nicole, at least you gave me a decent answer without acting like you know it all. I appreciate that.

• donna37
    12 years ago

Linda, you could be little bit nicer when answering a question by someone. Just give some information without sounding sarcastic. Good grief I don't think I'll ever come here to seek information if that is how I would be treated. It's sometimes hard to google something if you don't have the right information to do do.

• nicole__
    12 years ago

Your welcome Joann. I just offered the price of the cereal bowl as a price comparisson.

It's a very nice find! Enjoy!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Joann, don't know anything about it, but just wanted to say how pretty it is! I have some depression glass that I inherited, but none seems as lovely as your new piece. Congrats on a good find!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Joann, that is a beautiful bowl!! I've never seen that pattern and wouldn't have known what to call it.

As my dear mom used to say "it's just as easy to be nice as it is to be mean". I'm guessing you wouldn't have come here if you already knew everything about your new bowl. Maybe you will get a more civil response in the future.

Anyway, that is quite a find you have there!!! Congrats!!

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Joann, if it's information about the bowl you're wanting, here's a (potential) tidbit...

Unless I'm mistaken - & it's been known to happen - your gorgeous bowl is uranium glass. (Also seems to be used interchangeably with "Vaseline Glass", to me that's the custard-color, but I'm in the minority there I think).

Regardless, do you have a black-light? Uranium glass glows brilliantly in a dark room with only a black light.

From my recollection, the charming lime green color was achieved by adding a bit of uranium during glass-making process. It created a special color that I've learned to recognize - but not certain from a photo online.

I love the stuff - and depression glass, in general. Enjoy it - it's a beauty!

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

joann knew that it was Georgian Love Birds. She just thought that the ones in love were two green parrots.

And now I am confused about what really is a bowl

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Now I'm getting depressed by this mollycoddling of the OP regarding this depression bowl. I'm sure that the OP is a big girl and can stand her own ground and reply as she sees fit, which she did already. So why not drop it, okay?

Now ~ what say we get back to what this board is all about (things antique & collectible)!

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

justlinda
    You could just scroll on by.

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Ummm....let's just get back to what this board is all about, okay?

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

I'm sorry. I was only trying to give some information that I thought the OP might like to have. If it were me, & I didn't know about uranium glass, I'd like to be told about it.

Didn't mean to offend anyone by it.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well I must chip in a little more info here....because I do know everything...;-Q.
    What American collectors call Vaseline Glass is a yellow, the color of Carbolated Vaseline...Watkins still makes it by the way.
    The Brits call that semi opaque custard glass Vaseline Glass.
    The addition of uranium can produce several different colors....and that green of the bowl pictured is one. I have heard that a different uranium salt can produce a red, but have never tested that with a black light.\
    And interesting...Federal used uranium in making the green in Georgia Lovebirds. Not all green depression glass is uranium glass....and Georgia Lovebirds is also made in clear and amber.
    Uranium glass glows a bit in sunlight, but not in artificial light unless it has some ultra violet...as in a plant gro light. Bargain hunters sometimes carry a small battery operated pocket "black" light to quickly spot uranium glass.
    As you were....

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Once a year I drop into a "junque" store with some women friends. The store has a section of uranium glass with a black light on it. That was my thought too when I saw the photos. I don't know a thing about glassware though.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

That would be the centerpiece of my next absinthe party; which would actually be my first absinthe party ;-)
    The color is such a spectacular acid green!
    Casey Pernod

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Now we are getting somewhere. Finally some "information" about the bowl!!! Now, was that so hard???

Thanks, ks toolgirl, for getting the ball rolling.

All information is appreciated. I know I learned something new!!! Thanks.

• sam_md
    12 years ago

here is a smattering of my lovebirds collection. I also have assorted plates and footed sherbets. Not all pieces are marked with the F. The most soughtafter pieces are the ones with lids.

• joann_ks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice collection, thanks for sharing it.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Wonderful collection displayed in a charming cabinet...and a bad photo! Sam, that's quite a tease! :)

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

lovely collection!

so, uh...

does your china cabinet glow in the dark?