Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Cabinet/Cupboard Pls help Identify

Posted by avaeia (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 13:04

I was told this is from a turn of the Century home. It's alot bigger than it looks--horrible picture, I know. It's about 7 plus feet high. Can anyone help identify the style or era, please? I will try to get better pics soon. Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Cabinet/Cupboard Pls help Identify

Looks like a built-in from a kitchen or butler's pantry.
Can't tell any more without a good picture of things like the insides of drawers, the back etc.

o

Lindac-- you are spot on--- He did tell me it was a built in. I will have pictures tomorrow. Do built-in cupboards have much less value than stand alones? I guess hard to say--- case by case---
More pics coming. Thank you Lindac for your help! :)

o

More pics. Any info would be very welcome. What approx value do you think this piece would have? It's in rough shape now, but pine underneath and I was thinking of stripping it....
drawers seem to be simply built-- not dovetail.

Thank you so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: cupboard pics on picasa

o

It could look nice cleaned up. These were never intended to be bare wood - they were usually finished in white enamel, the "sanitary" choice, then installed in kitchens.

Value?? Depends on the market in your area for old cabinetry.

o

Thank you lazygardens! :)
Just wanted to add... I just noticed the tongue and groove backing and old look nail used. (please see updated photos).
Can anyone guess the age?
Thanks!

o

Fitted kitchens - ones with built-in cabinets - started in the 1880s for the wealthy and trickled down to the masses during the following decades.

This could be anywhere between 1890 and about 1940.

o

I'm going to guess maybe the later half of the 1890-1940 range, just based on the scrollwork under the cupboard part. It's a wonderful piece!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here