Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avaeia

Large Cabinet/Cupboard Pls help Identify

avaeia
11 years ago

I was told this is from a turn of the Century home. It's alot bigger than it looks--horrible picture, I know. It's about 7 plus feet high. Can anyone help identify the style or era, please? I will try to get better pics soon. Thank you so much.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Looks like a built-in from a kitchen or butler's pantry.
    Can't tell any more without a good picture of things like the insides of drawers, the back etc.

• avaeia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac-- you are spot on--- He did tell me it was a built in. I will have pictures tomorrow. Do built-in cupboards have much less value than stand alones? I guess hard to say--- case by case---
    More pics coming. Thank you Lindac for your help! :)

• avaeia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics. Any info would be very welcome. What approx value do you think this piece would have? It's in rough shape now, but pine underneath and I was thinking of stripping it....
    drawers seem to be simply built-- not dovetail.

Thank you so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: cupboard pics on picasa

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

It could look nice cleaned up. These were never intended to be bare wood - they were usually finished in white enamel, the "sanitary" choice, then installed in kitchens.

Value?? Depends on the market in your area for old cabinetry.

• avaeia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you lazygardens! :)
    Just wanted to add... I just noticed the tongue and groove backing and old look nail used. (please see updated photos).
    Can anyone guess the age?
    Thanks!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Fitted kitchens - ones with built-in cabinets - started in the 1880s for the wealthy and trickled down to the masses during the following decades.

This could be anywhere between 1890 and about 1940.

• jlc102482
    11 years ago

I'm going to guess maybe the later half of the 1890-1940 range, just based on the scrollwork under the cupboard part. It's a wonderful piece!