Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silverplate Champagne Bucket - Tarnish or Worse?

Posted by woodsy1 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 12:40

I'm looking for a champagne bucket to use as a vase for silks. I found this one for sale at a reasonable price. The seller says it only needs a good clean and polish, but I'm not so sure. The pictures look to me like some of the plating may be missing. The answer I got when I asked was "I think its tarnish but until this is cleaned we won't have a true answer.".

I would appreciate any thoughts. The sale is on line, so I can't go look before committing. Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silverplate Champagne Bucket - Tarnish or Worse?

It looks very much like tarnish to me. There may still be bits of plate missing of course but the undecorated parts especially look merely tarnished. It's pretty enough to pass off a few dull spots as patina I think.

(There are silver dips available that I've never tried but they supposedly put a very fine layer of silver on--not good for things that get use but probably good for a decorative item.)

o

Thanks for replying, Fori! I was concerned primarily with the rim. Once I fill it, most of the rim will be covered anyway. I just pushed the button, as the sale was about to end. It was priced less than 1/4 of any others I could find. I'll post back when it's delivered!

o

Now I tell you....but a good way to judge if it's tarnish or missing plate is by the maker....if it's a better maker like Reed and Barton or Gorham...it's likely to be tarnish....I mean who wears out a champagne bucket???
but if ti's made in India....chances are the plate is gone...as with the first polishing.
Yours looks pretty good....bet it's just tarnished.
Linda C

o
RE: Silverplate Champagne Bucket - Tarnish or Worse???

Actually, Linda, you made me feel better! It's Gorham. And I plan to wear it out. ;)

o

Post a picture after you polish it up.

o

It's here!! I didn't have time to give it more than a cursory polishing. It's cleaning up quite easily, though. And yes, it was only tarnish with a couple of spots where tape had been (?) that left goo. I'm more than pleased!

As requested, I took some pictures. It's hard to photograph silver! The overall piece where the handles look crooked. They're not.

Photobucket

The rim:

Photobucket

Close up:

Photobucket

Handle:

Photobucket

Finally, the mark:

Photobucket

Thanks again to all who helped with my decision to buy!

o

I'm envious!

o

Hey! That almost requires champagne!

o

I have a chilled bottle of bubbley....trade you my bad made in India champagne bucket adn a bottle of bubbley for yours....it's really nice!!

o

Antiquesilver, "green" is the new thing, isn't it?

Fori, no almost about it! DH thought I should photograph it with champagne inside!!

Lindac, c'mon over and we can share a bottle. My bucket had better be here when you leave! LOL

o

Yeah Yeah Yeah....promises promises.....
Zone 5???? How far from Chicago? West??

o

A little west. Mostly south, about 60 miles. Hop in the car, the bubbley is almost gone!

o

Very nice! I bought one this year to put a small christmas tree in and then put it in the center of the table. A local antiques shop near here sells them but I want to make my own.

o

Java, I would love to see a picture when it's done! Now you have me thinking...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here