Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsy_1

Silverplate Champagne Bucket - Tarnish or Worse?

woodsy_1
12 years ago

I'm looking for a champagne bucket to use as a vase for silks. I found this one for sale at a reasonable price. The seller says it only needs a good clean and polish, but I'm not so sure. The pictures look to me like some of the plating may be missing. The answer I got when I asked was "I think its tarnish but until this is cleaned we won't have a true answer.".

I would appreciate any thoughts. The sale is on line, so I can't go look before committing. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Fori
    12 years ago

It looks very much like tarnish to me. There may still be bits of plate missing of course but the undecorated parts especially look merely tarnished. It's pretty enough to pass off a few dull spots as patina I think.

(There are silver dips available that I've never tried but they supposedly put a very fine layer of silver on--not good for things that get use but probably good for a decorative item.)

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for replying, Fori! I was concerned primarily with the rim. Once I fill it, most of the rim will be covered anyway. I just pushed the button, as the sale was about to end. It was priced less than 1/4 of any others I could find. I'll post back when it's delivered!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Now I tell you....but a good way to judge if it's tarnish or missing plate is by the maker....if it's a better maker like Reed and Barton or Gorham...it's likely to be tarnish....I mean who wears out a champagne bucket???
    but if ti's made in India....chances are the plate is gone...as with the first polishing.
    Yours looks pretty good....bet it's just tarnished.
    Linda C

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, Linda, you made me feel better! It's Gorham. And I plan to wear it out. ;)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Post a picture after you polish it up.

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's here!! I didn't have time to give it more than a cursory polishing. It's cleaning up quite easily, though. And yes, it was only tarnish with a couple of spots where tape had been (?) that left goo. I'm more than pleased!

As requested, I took some pictures. It's hard to photograph silver! The overall piece where the handles look crooked. They're not.

The rim:

Close up:

Handle:

Finally, the mark:

Thanks again to all who helped with my decision to buy!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

I'm envious!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Hey! That almost requires champagne!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I have a chilled bottle of bubbley....trade you my bad made in India champagne bucket adn a bottle of bubbley for yours....it's really nice!!

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Antiquesilver, "green" is the new thing, isn't it?

Fori, no almost about it! DH thought I should photograph it with champagne inside!!

Lindac, c'mon over and we can share a bottle. My bucket had better be here when you leave! LOL

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yeah Yeah Yeah....promises promises.....
    Zone 5???? How far from Chicago? West??

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A little west. Mostly south, about 60 miles. Hop in the car, the bubbley is almost gone!

• Richard Dollard
    12 years ago

Very nice! I bought one this year to put a small christmas tree in and then put it in the center of the table. A local antiques shop near here sells them but I want to make my own.

• woodsy_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Java, I would love to see a picture when it's done! Now you have me thinking...