Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burn mark on vintage lamp shade

Posted by tuesday_2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 12:09

I am looking at a vintage Frederick Cooper lamp at my local antique mall, good price. The shade is fabric, clean, but does have some "burn" marks, typical of older lamp shades from the heat of the bulb. Has anyone had any success in cleaning or camouflaging these type of burn marks? I would prefer not to replace as it is original.

Suggestions anyone??
Tuesday

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burn mark on vintage lamp shade

Depends on how badly damaged the fabric is.....but generally....not much of a chance to remove a scorch.

o
RE: Burn mark on vintage lamp shade

Agreed. You may want to remove it and store it and use a reproduction. It may be vintage but may not be original anyway. I had replaced a shade on a 20s-30s floor lamp I rewired, and the new one scorched. That tells me the fit wasn't really good bringing the fabric too close to the bulb. This may have been the case, or not. Some shades are relatively easy to fabricate a sleeve to slip over the orginal in a darker fabric or material, but really it cuts down the light flow into the room. I've replaced the bulbs in my lamp with CFLs and it's not the issue it was with incandescents, but I still think of safety issues if I leave one burning for hours and not around. I'd rethink the shade if that's an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here