Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

Does anyone know of the B & S Co. ?

Arapaho-Rd
12 years ago

Hello, I frequent the Home Decorating forum and have never posted here, but I am hoping someone might be able to help. Does anyone know of the "B & S Co." that would make furniture maybe in the early 1900's? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Comments (35)

• lindac
    12 years ago

B and S furniture Company is a wholesale dealer out of North Carolina.

• itchingtogo
    8 years ago

The B&S company in NC has been in business less than 15 years so it is not the same one. I also have an antique Walnut table with a B&S Co. label on it but cannot find any information on them. My table is a center table that came from the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Ark.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Now that is one heckuva chair! Majestic might have been the furniture store that sold it, with B&S being the manufacturer.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

Does that mean you think it is hideous? :)

• Fori
    7 years ago

Not at all! A little, but in a good way. It is weird and fun and how could anyone not like that?

• Shari Girardeau
    7 years ago

Faith Mitchell Pappano, Google antique Windsor chairs. ;)

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

I have seen many but I still cannot find the companies I referred to; either the Majestic Furniture Co. or B.&S. Co.
    I have seen a similar chair on 1st Dibs. They are asking an outrageous price for it at auction.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

I have read - but not confirmed - that B&S were the label makers, and the typed information is the actual company name.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

so you think that Majestic is the maker of the chair itself?

• Louise Cullen
    7 years ago

I have a similar label on my Windsor comb back writing desk chair with the typed information on the label on the first line, "PAINE FURNITURE CO.". This furniture company is from Boston, Mass founded in 1834. I believe this label is very early for Paine and I'm estimating the windsor is circa 1850. I also believe B & S Co. is not a furniture company, has nothing to do with this chair and being a label company makes more sense.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

So you think that Majestic is the furniture company and B&S is the label company that made the label it's all printed on?

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

My take is that B&S is the manuf, Majestic is the retailer who ordered it as stock.

Casey

• Louise Cullen
    7 years ago

The Majestic Furniture company makes furniture. Use this link

http://artsandcraftscollector.com/shopmarks/furniture

To see a mention of them in this furniture company list.

B & S Co. does not export furniture to the east coast from NC. Just like Paine who produced there own furniture in Boston used their labels. That makes sense.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

Thank you, Louise.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

One thing though, all of the furniture from the company named in the information you gave to me is referred to as Arts and Crafts furniture which my chair is clearly not. Mine is Windsor and quite ornate in many respects. What do you think?

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

So you're saying NC is not on the east coast? So you're saying that companies never change their business plans? What they did at one time does not restrict the possibilities of what they may have done earlier.

B&S is the maker, their name is imprinted on the label. Majestic is a secondary party or destination; their name is typed in just like the name of the finish applied (Dev(onshire?) Oak.

Off topic, but in England, the arts & crafts movement began in the 1850's.

Find one english windsor chair with cabriole legs that uses a turned bead to separate the leg from the seat. I couldn't. In the UK, where traditional woodworking techniques are ingrained, they seem to always integrate the cabriole leg just as they'd've done in Queen Anne's day. The radical departure from traditional shapes makes me feel that this exercise in chair-making mastery is US.

Casey

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

Thanks for your input, Casey.
    To whom would you take this to have it properly appraised?

• sam_md
    7 years ago

here is another English armchair that reminds me of yours. Interesting how your chair shows so little wear. I read that in England these chairs are made of elm, oak, yew, and In Scotland they use laburnum or golden chain tree. No clue about appraisal.

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

Hi Sam. Thanks again for your time.

Did you mean to attach a picture to your post?

• lindac92
    7 years ago

There was a link in the word "here"...
    I don't believe there is any appraiser who will be more knowlegable than the people on this forum. The problem with something out of the ordinary, any $$ amount put on will be a guess by whoever does it....yes even the people on Antiques Road Show.
    As I have said so many times, it is worth what someone will pay. And why do you want an appraisal? For insurance? Estate? or to put an asking price to sell? All these would needs be different dollar amounts.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

From this link - Just Answer - Antiques

"...The B & S Co Label is actually the name of the company that made the label on the chair."

• Faith Mitchell Pappano
    7 years ago

lindac92...
    thanks! I didn't see the very subtle difference of the color in the word "here".
    As sam_md noted that chair looks quite a bit more worn than mine.
    Mine is made of oak as far as I can tell.
    Frankly I would like to sell the chair. We are not the Windsor types here.
    I have had it for over 10 years and we never use it or even display it for that matter.
    Someone who could really appreciate it should have it.
    Not to be crude but I would naturally like the best dollar amount I can get for it.
    I wouldn't begin to know where to go to do that.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

"...The B & S Co Label is actually the name of the company that made the label on the chair."

ROTFLMAO! Now that clears things up.

• Amy Kraemer
    5 years ago

I have a set of 4 windsor dining chairs that have the same label as Faith Mitchell Pappano's photo. My labels are in poor condition, torn and missing parts but one of them has handwritten "Tiffany Studios" on the line above the B. & S. CO. and some other indistinguishable writing below describing the model or finish I suppose. I am wondering if you have found any other info. on this Mfr.? I find it amazing that the label printing company would put their name so prominently on the label.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

Could this be you furniture supplier?

https://www.manufacturednc.com/B-and-S-Furniture

They sell other brands as well as make their own. They are located in North Carolina.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

I see that you have posted this chair at another site 2 years ago.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/204403-windsor-chair

• acarmen76
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Came across this thread while trying to find info on a table I just purchased. I don't think it makes sense for "B&S Co." to be the label maker... in the case of my table, it was hand written on the bottom. Unfortunately, the label is torn off, but there is also some cool hardware underneath as a clue, as well as an inventory number (Table is missing the leaf inserts that would extend it to 6'). Still not able to find any info on the company but I will keep looking and following the thread! My table is about 48" square, not sure what kind of wood. Any ideas??

cheers,

alli

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Here is another chair made by B&S Co. with the same label on it. Obviously not the same style chair. Ebay seller says this is post 1950, but I don't know if they know what they're talking about. There are several other pieces that come up on a google search of B&S Co.

[https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-B-S-Co-Solid-Wood-Rush-Seat-Rustic-Windsor-Arm-Chair-French-Country/173842750681?hash=item2879d5dcd9:g:I7oAAOSwA3dYKVYv#viTabs_0(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-B-S-Co-Solid-Wood-Rush-Seat-Rustic-Windsor-Arm-Chair-French-Country/173842750681?hash=item2879d5dcd9:g:I7oAAOSwA3dYKVYv#viTabs_0)

• Amy Kraemer
    4 years ago

Acarmen's table is most likely Oak.

• Jordan Mann
    4 years ago

Found this thread, although old, thought I would post. any info? Age? Value?

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

Size?

It’s very pretty.

• HU-802468376
    2 years ago

To add to the confusion, I have a Bunny Bread sign and this is a picture of the top right of the sign. I can't find anything about the B & S CO. making old signs. Help!!

• HU-485819598
    last year
    last modified: last year

Possibly Barnard & Simonds Co. (1898 - 967) founded in Rochester, NY. Purchased by Baker Furniture in 967. Furniture City History

• HU-178792162
    last year

I have inherited a solid wooden. chair from my husband's family. It has a label on the bottom B&S Co with the finish listed as Hamp. and hand written J.P. Harris & Son on the label. The family owned a furniture making business in Morganton, NC. Unfortunately all most of the family is now deceased. I am trying to more information on this chair. Anybody have ideas?