Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Rabbit cookie jar

nodakgal
14 years ago

Could anyone tell me the name of this cookie jar or maker? We found this picture online. DSis has one in yellow but otherwise the exact same. There are no marks that we can see.

There are SO many cookie jars out there we'd like to narrow it down when we search.

Here is a link that might be useful: rabbit cookie jar

Comments (10)

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dropping down....

• lindac
    14 years ago

sorry....I would say you have the only one ever....but you showed a picture of another in a different color.
    Who knows.
    But this board has a lot of people who don't visit too often....I thought it good to leave it on top.
    Linda C

• pris
    14 years ago

Did anyone put the cursor on the pic in the attachment and see the title pop up that says "rabbit cookie jar by Laughing Squid?" Would searching that description get you anything?

• pris
    14 years ago

Did anyone put the cursor over the pic in the link and see the title that pops up? It says something like 'Rabbit cookie jar by Laughing Squid'. You might try a search for that and see if anything pops up.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I have no clue, and cookie jars are up my alley. The only thing crossing my mind were how fragile those ears would be before they were fired. You don't often see cookie jars with large protuberances because they often don't make it past green-ware and are avoided.

• deherrin
    14 years ago

This looks the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all very much!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Good eye!
    Now you have a name and you can find out more.
    From what I see, Dorranne was a California pottery and made all sorts of cookie jars and other "cute" kitcheney things.
    But I can't find much clearly aboput the company because so much of the stuff made in California during the 50 was simply labeled California pottery.
    I find lots of cookie jars with "protuberances" like the bell tower on a school house the bot on a kitty the trunk on an elephant just to name a few of the more common forms.
    Doranne seems to be fairly easily spotted because of the glaze colors.
    Linda C

• calliope
    14 years ago

Of course pottery has protuberances, or it would be pretty boring. It's a pottery finisher's nightmare when they stick out that far and at that angle. It's also a pottery owner's nightmare, because they fracture easily and I've seen runs of cookie jars where more lids end up scrapped than shipped. When I worked at McCoy, we had a puppy dog cookie jar where the tail stuck up out of the butt and curled and formed the handle for the lid. It was nowhere as exagerated as those ears and everyone groaned when we ran that design. Shawnee had some doggie statues with the same issue and my mother was one of the few finishers who could keep quota on it. So, you usually see cookie jars with the bumps kept closer to the body, but then most people who have never worked a pottery wouldn't know that, I guess.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I am sure that a piece of molded pottery or porcelain with a part that sticks out of the body is more difficult to make than a simple jar with a knob....which is why they often cost more.
    They may be a pottery finisher's nightmare....but there are lots of cookie jars with ears, bows, tails, noses, trunks....apparently they sold well.
    It even seems that Doranne made 2 different rabbit cookie jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: bunnies with ears