Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_bassetlvr

Bavarian Chocolate set

organic_bassetlvr
12 years ago

I will attempt to post pics-bear with me. This set belonged to my grandmother & I am interested in any info. I looked on eBay for similar sets & prices vary wildly. The pic of the mark was too fuzzy but said bavarian and had a crown. HTH

Many thanks,

Susan

Comments (10)

• lindac
    12 years ago

without a good clear picture of the back stamp it's impossible to say who made it.
    from what I see it's a probably porcelain German chocolate set from about 1930 maybe later. Not hand painted but nicely decorated.
    Linda C

• organic_bassetlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,
    I'll try to get a better pic tonite. I've always thought the pattern was especially pretty.
    Susan

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Can't help, but wanted to say how pretty it is. I especially like the handle on the pot!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Lots of crowns in marks, and lots of Bavarian china out there. Is there a wreath around the crown with a tiny 'R' at the base of the wreath? My formal set is Winterling. The earlier Winterling (until 1945) just had the crown with a wreath around it, and the word Bavaria. That's a beautiful set. Early Schuman also just had a crown and the word Bavaria.

• organic_bassetlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Calliope,
    Sorry about the delay-computer issues. I am at work so cannot look right now. I meant to go home Monday & take better pics but life got in the way. I will try to do so ASAP. Thanks for your interest. I assume chocolate was expensive as the cups look like they would only hold about 3-4 ounces. (of course we're used to Supersize drinks now)When I was little my grandmother let me use it for tea parties for my dolls. I also like to put small flower arrangements in the cups-Lily of the Valley or Sweet Violets look so pretty.
    Susan

• organic_bassetlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I looked at the marks on the Chocolate set & there is no crown. There is a lion in profile, facing left, sitting on his haunches with his tail culed up behind him like the letter S. He is sitting on a rectangle. Inside the rectangle it says MaDE IN BaVARIA. The lion & mark are in gold-I tried to take a pic but the mark is very faint & wouldn't show up. Thanks,
    Susan

• calliope
    12 years ago

There are two or three Bavarian manufacturers who at some time in their history have used the 'rearing' lion, in a left facing profile. None I could find are exactly as you have described, but then again my resources don't show each and every year and most of them change through the years. Sorry I couldn't help........but it sure is a pretty set.

• johnbrugier
    7 years ago

I have a similar set, how can I find an age?

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Post a good picture of the set and the backstamp.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

What a great way to use and display a old family piece! Bet lily of the valley scent a whole room.