Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Items

Posted by debodun (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:50

Why are vintage Christmas decorations so difficult to sell at a garage sale? I have a whole slew of decorations I brought down from the attic in my parent's house that I've been trying to sell for years at my garage sale. No one even looks at them, yet when I go holiday shopping at a department store, people are grabbing up that plastic junk from Asia and shelling out 2 to 3 time the price I would ask for vintage items.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Items

People looking at garage sales are expecting DEEP discounts, and used Christmas ornaments are just used ... you see "vintage" and have fond memories, they see "old faded ornaments".

Try selling them on etsy.com as groups of vintage with as much information as possible about date, maker and origin.

o
RE: Christmas Items

Chipped paint? Silvering faded, tarnished? Missing beads? Neck cap missing? Scratched? Any of those things render them worth close to nothing except, maybe, to a crafter who will tear them apart and reuse the parts. My guess is you are pricing too high. I agree wholeheartedly with lazygardens - you see "vintage" and garage sale lookers see "old". I have a few vintage ornaments for my kitchen Christmas tree. They are in wonderful condition and I have the original packaging. I paid $2 for the most expensive.

/tricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here