Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikemanswife

Repairing split wood on an antique wardrobe?

Alice Johannen
17 years ago

We have just acquired an art deco bedroom set, part of which is a large triple armoire. When moving it, we failed to notice the wooden stays screwed in up top (holding the 3 portions of the armoire together) and when trying to separate the pieces of the wardrobe gave it a hard enough tug to cause some wood at the top and bottom to split.

DH thinks we should fix this with metal stays screwed in to hold it together; I say carpenter's glue would be the best for preserving the integrity of the piece as an antique.

Any advice? Thank you!

Comments (5)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I agree with you...carpenter's glue will do less damage. Often an antique needing repair is further damaged by the repair.
    I'll bet you were just sick when that happened!
    Linda C

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Linda, you have no idea! The seller had these pieces in his garage and wasn't home when we picked them up, though he had assured us they were just tongue-and-grooved together, "so easy to take apart". So the damage was preventable with a little knowledge, but ... what are you gonna do?

Any advice on clamping and ensuring the clamps don't do any damage?

All of the wardrobe pieces (3 from the triple, 2 from the double) are now lying "like coffins" (to coin DH's phrase) in our garage until the splits are repaired. I am going to ask him to glue up the split pieces TODAY so we can everything inside and assembled before the truly cold weather comes.

Thanks so much.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Invest in some furniture clamps....a long pipe with clamps that are adjustable along it's length...or borrow some ( I have a borrowed one I forgot to return!).
    Pad the furniture really well where the clamp will rest. For sure it will take 4 hands to get it glued and clamped.
    There is also the option of strap clamps...a nylon strap that fits around the piece and you tighten it up...but I have never had any luck with them except for clamping rungs into chair legs....and you have to pad them very well on all surfaces.
    When you pad, don't use anything like foam rubber that will compress, but use folded cloth...like a wash cloth or a small hand towel.
    Oh, and remember, don't clamp so thghtly yous queeze all the glue out of the joint.
    Good luck!
    Linda C

• markmizzou
    17 years ago

Pipe clamps are fine -- but for smaller lengths -- the "pistol-style
    ' bar clamps will probably be fine as well .You probably will want to open up the split a little more than it just lays to get more glue on the bare wood on the inside surface of the split.. Keep pushung more in with your finger tips -- so much till it oozes out the back side -- then use your clamps -- either kind -- but like Linda said -- not too much pressure -- The too much pressure is all too easy to do with pipe claps -- especially 3/4 inch size. If possipbe clamp it so you can see the whole split after clamping so that you can wipe the excess glue oozing out -- crpenters wood glue WILL NOT adhere very well to "finished or oiled surfaces -- but it is still easier to get it off before it hardens. Do not clean with too wet of a rag. Come back after an hour or so to get any that is late in coming out -- do not move your clamps for at least 24 hours-- or you will not have good bonding. Good luck

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much, Lindac and Markmizzou. We'll need clamps that span 25", so I think we'll have to use pipe clamps, yes? These are available at Home Depot or some other such place? We won't be able to use the strap method because we can't wrap clean around (imagine a shoebox lying on the floor without the top on -- both of the short ends are split not up and down, but side to side).

At any rate, I'm very grateful for the input. Thank you so much!