Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Antique Shops In New Hampshire

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

We drive up to North Conway area, NH at least once a year from CT. There used to be one good antique center in North Conway but that has been gone for a few years and on the way home there used to be a good one on route 16 in West Ossipee and now that is gone also. So, does anyone know of any good antique shops/centers/malls in New Hampshire? We have already been along route 101A in southern New Hampshire and those were mostly knick knack shops. Our route usually takes us I-84 in CT to I-90 in Mass to 290 to 495 to 93 in NH to 25 in Meredith to 16 into North Conway. Thanks, Richie

Comments (3)

• lazypup
    13 years ago

No doubt you have other reasons besides antiquing to prompt your trips to N.H. but being a 64yr old, avid free lance photographer from Chicopee, Mass I am well familiar with your route and IMHO you may not be seeing the forest for the trees, so to speak.

I-84 junctions with I-90 (Mass pike) at Sturbridge, Mass. About one mile from the mass pike toll both there is "Old Sturbridge Village", which is a living museum depicting the life in a rural community from 1740 to 1830. The museum covers about 300acres and has perhaps 50 or more houses, shops and barns from the period, all well laid out in a rural community setting. It is defined as a living museum because as you go through the houses, farms or shops you will find staff members dressed in the costume of the period and performing the day to day work routines as they were done in the period. That in itself would be a wealth of information to a die hard antique collector because not only does it give you an opportunity to see the antiques, you can actually talk to people who use those items daily and can explain there form & function in great detail.

Given that the museum is what put the town of Sturbridge on the map, it then stands that the town itself is a mecca of antique dealers ranging from the tiny one car garage size mom & pop operations to huge multi-story super stores in the downtown Sturbridge area.

While I am not a die hard antique collector, I would suspect that with the depressed economy and the fierce competition most of those dealers have no doubt had to sharpen their pencils to stay in business so there may be a few true bargains to be had.

In addition, If you were to slightly alter your return route and head west on RT 20 (the old Boston Post Road) from Sturbridge on west through Palmer and on to Springfield you will find it is not only a nice pleasant scenic route, it is dotted the whole way with small antique shops of all varieties.

Taking rt 20 west from Sturbridge to Springfield, then I-91 south to Hartford will add an additional 47 miles on your trip, but in my estimation it would prove well worth your time and effort.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your information. I went to Old Sturbridge Village when I was very young back in the 70's and don't remember too much except that I think rained that day! We have talked about going back there just recently too and I have been going to the Brimfield antique shows ever since my grandfather used to take me in the 70's also. I have done the antique shops in Sturbridge too but not in awhile. Thanks!

• farmhousegirl
    13 years ago

I used to live there....The best one is The Collector's Eye in Stratham! Love that place! : )