Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying China

Posted by dollfromthesouth (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 1:37

Hello, I know very little about China and I recently acquired this beautiful bowl. I was told this bowl is about 80 years old but that's all I know. I would love to learn more about it, so I'd appreciate if someone out there can give me more information. I am providing pictures. Thanks everyone. I'd be looking forward for response.

china5

china8

china7

china6

china4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying China

It's a rice bowl. Could very well be that old. Do not know the manufacturer. Cherry blossoms and chrysanths..........about as Japanese a motif as it gets.

o

The mark looks to me like late 10th century Chinese. That's the era when the chop/seal marks were in red applied usually with a rubber stamp....and that's what it appears to be.
Likely a rice bowl....but I have no way of knowing the size....

o

Linda--20th century? or really 10th Century?

o

No....fat fingered....late 19th century....1890's

o
Amending

Make that before 1890...I think it was 1890...or a few years later that the work "CHINA" was stamped in red on export ware.....or it could have not been made for export.

o

It's rather hard to differentiate between Chinese and Japanese writing, because basically the Kanji Japanese script was 'borrowed' from the Chinese. I can only read hirogana and not Kanji so to be honest I don't know for sure that's a Japanese mark. The decoration is what influenced my response. Just went in to my china closet and pulled out a set of rice bowls purchased in Japan late 1950s. Then pulled out the pot from a tea set from around the same era. Both had the red stamped 'chop marks' with characters in the center. To be really fair about it, on other than export ware, you can't date a piece by that style mark, much less date it right down to a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here