Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help suggesting China mfr. based on vague recollection

Posted by lazydaisynot (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 1:37

I'm nostalgic about a set of fine china from my childhood. The set is long gone and my memory is vague. What I recall: white background (predominant color); kelly green ornamentation; gold ornamentation; possibly other colors; botanical motif that I believe differed on various pieces; lids of covered dishes/tureens had handles shaped like stems/plants. I believe the set was purchased in the 1950s or before; definitely no later than the early 60s. I think it was finer rather than heavy (in terms of heft and thickness). I don't think there were any small regular designs, but rather more freeform flourishes; so while it was quite lovely and "fancy", it didn't have a traditional, formal look. I'm guessing it was not inexpensive.

I'd like to search for a piece or two if it's available and affordable but I have no idea where to begin. My google searches for the shaped handles took me to Fitz and Floyd, but what I saw on-line was more exaggerated, for lack of a better word, than the set I'm recalling. Any guesses of manufacturers, despite my vague and perhaps even incorrect description? Thanks, all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help suggesting China mfr. based on vague recollection

Possibly Herend?

Here is a link that might be useful: herend

o

Thank you for the suggestion, Linda. That may be it. The feel is correct, though some details are not as I recall. I don't remember the smaller scaled ornamentation being so regular. However that seems to be the best option within Herend, and Herend looks like a very likely candidate.

We had a 12-piece place setting of the green and white china with many serving dishes. Remembering my Norwegian grandmother's comment that food looks best on plain white china, I opted for the other set (of completely plain white china). I was 21 at the time. Ah, hindsight. I can see that I won't be reassembling a set now, at these prices.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

o

Linda, having done some more googling of images, I'm sure your right. The sculpted shape of some of the larger Herend tureens, the openwork "woven" bowls, and the half lemon atop some handles are suggestive of some of the pieces we had. Thanks again for your expertise and help.

o

I though perhaps it might be Mottahedeh Chelsea Botanicals, the china that makes me drool...

o

Sweeby, that's not the one, but it sure is lovely.

o

Have you looked through the Spode patterns?

o

Thanks for the suggestion, Texas. I did quickly look through Spode and didn't see anything similar to our old China. I'm pretty sure Linda's suggestion is the right one, though I surely welcome any other thoughts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here