Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barley Twist Dining Table

Posted by Juju0532 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 1:32

Hey...I just bought this beautiful dining table on CL today...48" round with 3 12" leaves (that don't match so well) I am not sure of the wood...doesn't look like oak...Does anyone know more about this style and possible value? I would like to re-sell it...not sure if I should refinish it...I love the patina as is...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barley Twist Dining Table

Whatever it is, it's stained "mahogany".
Really can't tell much from one very blurry picture.

o

This is a transitional table, probably from the 1920s.

At the ends of the arts and crafts period, furniture makers who made arts&crafts furniture almost exclusively were left with partially finished inventory and shops and stock set up to produce a style of furniture that was losing popularity.

So they took a look at what they had and tried to turn it into "Early American" or "Jacobean" which were two styles that were coming into vogue.

It made for some unusual combinations, some of which is really ungainly and some of which is pleasantly ugly and kind of quaint.
This is a Stickley piece of the period, based on one of their center pedestal craftsman tables tricked out with Jacobean style legs. Yours is similar, so it may be a company who knocked off Stickley at the time and followed suit when they left the arts and crafts market. Unless you can find markings on it identifying the maker, I doubt that refinishing it would have negative effect on its value, because the current finish is not good.
Photobucket

o

Hopefully this is a better pic...
It is 48" round with 3 12" leaves...

o

There...

o

I think Pal nailed it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here