Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Mantel

Posted by kam76 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 1:08

Can anyone help me date this fireplace mantel based on the woodwork. The owner says early 1800's but I'd like more input. Thanks!
 photo fireplace1.jpg

photo fireplace3.jpg

photo fireplace2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Mantel

I'd be inclined to think more like early _19_00s.

o

Thanks colleenoz! Is there something that makes you say that? I am trying to learn as much as I can so I am an educated buyer.

o

I was thinking a sort of generic classical revival/Victorian, but upon a closer look it's actually Romanesque Revival and as such dates to a narrower period of popularity (of course it could be later, as it may have stayed in inventory for a long time) around 1886-1895. It's all in the detailing. The carved leaf termini of the cushion molding and the exaggerated bulbous turnings, for two.
Casey

o

Thank you so much Casey. This is great information. Do you have any idea what this item might be worth or a good price to pay for it? The seller is asking $999.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here