Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamye_gw

Has anyone ever seen a tea set like this?

MamyE
12 years ago

My grandmother gave me this tea set before she passed away. The only information I have is that my grandfather may have acquired it while fighting in WWII. I have searched the internet until my eyes have crossed, looking at marks. Any information, or even tips on where to look, are greatly appreciated! See 'useful link' for pictures :)

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea set photos

Comments (5)

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

It might help if you knew which theater your grandfather served in. Was it Europe, Italy, North Africa, south Pacific or the Orient? The lid of the teapot seems decorated with a stylized script. The teapot handle is unusual and diagnostic. Are there 2 of these handles, or only the one? The one shown is for a right-hand pour.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Could it be Korean? or are you fairly sure it's Japanese? The reason I ask is that handle configuration is more usual in a Korean tea set.
    That pattern is ringing some sort of a bell in my head.....just can't quite remember where I have seen it.
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

No it isn't. It's a typical Japanese handle style for pots made to serve green tea. The hollow handle keeps it cool. I suspect it's a commonality of most older Asian teapots.

• nicole__
    12 years ago

Quote:
    Kyusu means teapot in Japanese (short, sweet, to the point). They brew and serve green tea either in a tea ceremony or just for drinking customarily. They are dissimilar from regular teapots because their handle protrudes from the side or back of the pot in a straight, horn-like manner. This is very unique compared to European style teapots.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5274258

If you want an appraisal, post your question at this link I provided...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery appraisal site.....

• MamyE
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@jemdandy: There is only one handle, and I know for sure he was in Normandy and Vienna, but I don't know if he served anywhere else. He received the purple heart for rescuing a friend, but was badly injured in the process, so I think they sent him home fairly quickly. That entire side of my family has passed away, so I'm having trouble getting information.

Thank you everyone so very much for the input. What great tips and starting points!