Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone ever seen a tea set like this?

Posted by MamyE (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 0:21

My grandmother gave me this tea set before she passed away. The only information I have is that my grandfather may have acquired it while fighting in WWII. I have searched the internet until my eyes have crossed, looking at marks. Any information, or even tips on where to look, are greatly appreciated! See 'useful link' for pictures :)

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea set photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone ever seen a tea set like this?

It might help if you knew which theater your grandfather served in. Was it Europe, Italy, North Africa, south Pacific or the Orient? The lid of the teapot seems decorated with a stylized script. The teapot handle is unusual and diagnostic. Are there 2 of these handles, or only the one? The one shown is for a right-hand pour.

o

Could it be Korean? or are you fairly sure it's Japanese? The reason I ask is that handle configuration is more usual in a Korean tea set.
That pattern is ringing some sort of a bell in my head.....just can't quite remember where I have seen it.
Linda C

o

No it isn't. It's a typical Japanese handle style for pots made to serve green tea. The hollow handle keeps it cool. I suspect it's a commonality of most older Asian teapots.

o

Quote:
Kyusu means teapot in Japanese (short, sweet, to the point). They brew and serve green tea either in a tea ceremony or just for drinking customarily. They are dissimilar from regular teapots because their handle protrudes from the side or back of the pot in a straight, horn-like manner. This is very unique compared to European style teapots.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5274258

If you want an appraisal, post your question at this link I provided...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery appraisal site.....

o

@jemdandy: There is only one handle, and I know for sure he was in Normandy and Vienna, but I don't know if he served anywhere else. He received the purple heart for rescuing a friend, but was badly injured in the process, so I think they sent him home fairly quickly. That entire side of my family has passed away, so I'm having trouble getting information.

Thank you everyone so very much for the input. What great tips and starting points!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here