Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmont325

Cake Plate With Dome

valmont325
11 years ago

So i came across this Beauty today, think i have identified it but i cant find a value or date on this.

On replacements . com i found "Cake Plate With Glass Dome in the Windsor-Clear pattern by Federal Glass Co"

Its all exactly the same except that one is a stand as where mine is just a plate. but of course it doesn't show price either. So any help?

Comments (6)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

They may not be a set. Just a glass plate with a dome that looks to be from a 2 piece cheese set~the other piece would be a round wood cutting board. We'll wait to see what Linda has to say, she's the expert.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What i love about this is the weight. The dome is soo heavy. And the plate. I dont know if u can tell by the photo but it curves up like a pie pan/plate would. As where most cake plates with domes are flat. I am hoping its got some age and value to it. Not tons but something.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I've been around for a lot of years and collected antique glass for more than 40 years....and have never seen a patterned glass cake plate with a plain glass dome. In fact I have seen precious few glass cake domes until just these past few years....when the Princess house lines and the Martha Stewart lines came out.
    I believe you have a nice old cake plate.....and a dome...not a set.
    There are lots of similar domes and cakeplate "sets" on ebay asking about $30.....and a few where the dome has a pattern reflecting the pattern on the plate....those are asking for more.
    I have 6 or 7 old pattern glass cake plates and a couple of plain glass domes that were meant to be cheese domes....smaller than a cake dome.
    I have never seen a matching antique plate and dome for sale....at an auction, a shop or an antiques show.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Although nobody ever stopped anyone from placing a cloche over a pastry plate, it was never the custom to sell them as sets in old glass and I have seen only one exception, and that was a depression pedestal pastry server with the dome being patterned the same as the plate.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

If you like it, and it works for you, that's all that matters. Is it really important if the pieces are antique or not?

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

patty- it does matter because i am learning all i can about antiques and vintage items. I work at an antique shop and my boss allows me to buy stuff and sell on consignment so i usually turn to this site when i cant find any info myself.