Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patti_f

Wine storage box on stand

Patti-F
9 years ago

Hello, here is my other question.
We have a wine storage box that I've seen also called a cellarette. Any idea about where it is from and what it might be worth? I will add a second photo with door open so you can see that the interior of the box is divided for storing 9 bottles of wine. I've not found any others that have a front opening door except as part of a sideboard.
Most shown online open from the top.

Comments (10)

• Patti-F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture with the front opened.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Since nobody else replied:
    The style is called "Campaign furniture" I guess it was developed during the anglo-french wars, so aristocratic British officers who traveled with a full retinue could feel more at home. There were all kinds of folding canopy beds, large chests of drawers that came apart into separate trunk-like pieces, and household equipment like cellarettes.
    The piece is not period, of course, but a revival "in the style of".
    The real stuff is always in high demand, and a useful replica like this should be marketable. I bet it would look terrific with a coat of dark paste wax, but don't get carried away.

• Patti-F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sombreuil, This is helpful. I notice that there are 2 periods of Campaign Furniture if Victorian and Georgian. Any idea which style it is?

Also, I've looked at images of hundreds of cellarettes at this point and do not see any others that have a front door. They all open from the top. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The front opening door is probably so a 20th century homeowner could use the top surface for "stuff". The original ones carried the bottles upright, even cellarettes built into Georgian sideboards; They were drinking the wine so fast, the corks stood no chance of drying out. Plus it would have allowed both bottles of wine and decanters for the hard stuff to be in the same box.
    Casey

• nhb22
    9 years ago

My first thought was that the piece was an older Bombay & Company replica. I did a search and could not find anything like it with the front opening orientation. Are you sure that it is not top opening, and just situated on the stand wrong?

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Interesting that the latest edition of Garden & Gun had this article on a father/son that make period reproductions of cellarets. Perhaps you could write to them and see if they have any knowledge of your piece.

Garden & Gun article:
    http://gardenandgun.com/article/original-home-bar

Here is a link that might be useful: Leake Furniture Makers

• HU-859084230
    4 years ago

I have this exact wine box on stand. Were you able to locate additional information on this and its value? Thank you,

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

Sit that box on a different surface and it opens from the top; How versatile. However, the cut-outs on the entrances to the bottle holes indicate it is in its proper orientation (in the photo).

• HU-859084230
    4 years ago

I am looking to sell this exact wine cabinet. Trying to find out its value before I do so. Hoping someone can assist me with this. Thank you!

• Jignesh Desai
    3 years ago

This box was sold by Pier One in late 90s early 2000. I have the exact same unit I bought from them on clearance for about $50. It is sold wood and a great conversation piece.