Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antiquer3

Red Oak English Armoire

antiquer3
10 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this site and am looking for information on Armoires. The item I am referring to is a English Red Oak Armoire purchased in the early 1970s. It is in 3 pieces and it has a beveled mirror with plenty of storage. I am not sure the general value of it or if there is much interest for it. I have spoken to a few antique shops and haven't gotten very much help. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Could we have a longer shot of the piece, including the feet? Also shots of the interior, sides, and back, if possible. Did it originally have a crown, or is that the original profile of the top? Also, what are the dimensions?

At first glance without these other photos, it looks to be from the 1910s or a few years later. It also appears to have its original finish in good condition.

Sadly, armoires are not really in vogue right now, although they are very useful pieces. The partial-width center door also limits its utility, as it makes it hard to access anything tucked behind the side panels.

Still, it's a graceful piece and would be good storage for linens, Christmas decorations, out-of-season clothes, craft materials, office supplies and records, etc.

Because there are a lot of armoires out there and not much market for them, the value is not terribly high ... at this time. They may come back into style in a few years. Its current value depends a lot on your area.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Does it have shelves inside, a hanging rod or a bunch of hooks? To me it looks more like a wardrobe than an armoire.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

In the US, "wardrobe" typically refers to the clothes you put in the armoire, not the piece of furniture! Although that has changed since I was a child, when wardrobe did mean a piece of furniture and I don't remember ever hearing the word "armoire." I'm curious -- in Australia, do you use the term "chifferobe"?

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

No, the only context in which I know "chiffarobe" is "To Kill A Mockingbird".
    I would consider an armoire more of a cupboard with shelves.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Hmm, Colleen, a cupboard is always a piece of kitchen furniture or a kitchen cabinet to me! Where the cups and other dishes are kept, you know. We hang our clothes in a closet.

A chifferobe is half chiffonier (tall, slender chest of drawers), half wardrobe. It's an old-fashioned term and I don't know if these are even made nowadays.

In the US, an armoire can have either hanging space or shelves, or half and half. It's usually a bit grand and not confined to the bedroom. A smaller piece of the same kind would be called a ... uh ... I don't know! Don't really see them much!