Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acadiafun

Does Anyone Like Refreshing A Shellac Finish?

Acadiafun
9 years ago

DH and I just refreshed a shellac finish on an Eastlake dresser. First we cleaned the dresser with mineral spirits. Next we used denatured alcohol to soften the finish, went over it with 000 steel wool, put a a coat of shellac back on and finished with a light buff using steel wool, and later a coat of paste wax.

I love the finish, but DH thinks it looks too shiny and not "antique" anymore. The finish was very rough before we started, think more old and beat to heck vs. antique patina. He wanted to finish it in satin poly but I wanted an age appropriate finish.

What say you antique lovers? For a piece that is not high value would you mind it looking close to the way it looked as new or is that a total turn off?

Comments (7)

• lsst
    9 years ago

I refinish furniture with either shellac or lacquer.

I refinished an antique baby grand piano with amber shellac. I added a flattener agent to create a satin finish.

I do not like a gloss look in old or new furniture but that is just my opinion.

If you had not added the wax, another couple of coats of shellac with a flattener agent would have added the "waxed" look without all the effort.

I would never use poly on furniture of any importance. Polyurethane does not bond well to existing finishes. It is impossible to repair a chip as poly, once dry, will not amalgamate with itself or other finishes.

This post was edited by lsst on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 4:04

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

You can skip the step with the alcohol; shellac does not need softening for the next coat to adhere. Go with oil+steel wool, then wipe off the mess and polish (wiped-on shellac) right away. After a polish, apply the wax with steel wool if you like; if too shiny, rub with FF Pumice and oil on a felt block, clean off with naphtha and follow with wax.
    Casey

• Acadiafun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if I get tired of the shine I can clean the wax off and add another coat of shellac with a flattening agent or I can polish the wax with steel wool or the pumice and oil. Good to know. Thanks!

Here's a pic of the shiny monster. Dog approved.

This post was edited by Acadiafun on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:34

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    9 years ago

Casey, what kind of oil to use with the steel wool? Isst, is there a name for this flattening agent? I have an eastlake plant stand. Finish is mostly ok but the top surface has some wear and water damage. Thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Mineral oil, like from the drugstore.
    The link is to a vendor for "shellac flat" which I have never tried, but I googled it for you.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Shellacs and related products

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• lsst
    9 years ago

I use Shellac Flat that Casey mentioned.

This post was edited by lsst on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 5:44