Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommap_gw

Gone with the Wind Oil Lamp

mommap
12 years ago

My sister inherited an oil lamp from her great aunt who owned an Antique Store. She would like to sell it, but she has no idea how much to ask.. Any suggestions? We know very little about antiques and even less about turn of the century lamps----Her Aunt has a tag hanging from it asking 1200.00....We took the lamp to a local Antique store and was told it is a "Gone with the Wind" lamp probably dated around 1890-1910... She said it was worth about 250.00.. however, she said she had never seen one with the black/blue design on it.. So we don't know if her aunt had the lamp way over priced or if it is something rare and we just don't know it.. --- How do we find the value? How do I post a photo??

Comments (8)

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

Instructions on posting a photo are in the very next thread.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Wondering why you wouldn't believe the dealer you took it to?
    I've not seen a picture but it would be a very unusual GWTW lamp to bring more than $250. In fact unless you have a shop in a very high end neighbor hood and can afford to have that lamp sit there for awhile, you will be lucky indeed to get $250 for it.
    As for your aunt's price....often a dealer who has a piece which lends to the decor of their shop, will put a very high price on it, to insure it doesn't sell quickly.

• mommap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do agree with the Dealer. :) But, lamp belongs to my sister and she is afraid it is worth more since the dealer never found one like it in her books.. Maybe a picture would help--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20949354@N03/6171516207/in/photostream

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20949354@N03/6171516207/in/photostream

• lindac
    12 years ago

The globes of GWTW lamps were often hand painted, like yours appears to be. No 2 are exactly alike. so unless it was signed by Mother Theresa or someone else famous....that dealer was spot on...if not generous in her estimate.
    Linda C

• karinl
    12 years ago

An internet image search for a gone with the wind lamp brings up hundreds of images, and perhaps if you peruse the associated sites you will find more indications of value.

There are also 3 pages of them on ebay at the moment ranging from $30 to $1000ish. This should provide enough fodder for comparison for your sister, and if she doesn't trust a snapshot, I imagine they are continuing to come on the market and she could watch the listings for a while and see what similar lamps actually sell for.

I am confused by part of your story, where you say it was the dealer who told you the lamp's name, because the $1200 tag already gives this information, from the aunt I presume. Did the aunt leave no records from her business, of the purchases she made, for example - if that is a date on the tag, perhaps even chasing the date in her financial records?

Karin L

• lindac
    12 years ago

Looks like it's missing the chimney.....

• mommap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Karin-- We started with a google search and it was only more confusing because of the HUNDREDS of images.. But, we never found one exactly like my sisters. And yes, we also looked on Ebay.. A friend of mine suggested Garden Web because of the antique experts :)

In regards, to the details of the posting, I was consolidating the information because I figured no one cared about the details. The aunt died years ago and the lamp had been sitting. Some of the family was cleaning out things and asked if anyone wanted the lamp. My sister was fond of the color so they gave it to her.. No records on it except the hand made tag. Yes, we knew the name, but dealer verified.

Also, we have the chimney, but forgot to put in on when I made the photo.. I should have mentioned that

• lindac
    12 years ago

As I said....you won't find one exactly like it....because it was hand painted.
    Glad you have the chimney.