Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

glass topped chest of drawers

Saypoint zone 6 CT
13 years ago

I just picked up a three drawer chest that has the unusual feature of a large piece of beveled glass set into the top. The glass takes up almost the whole top except for a flat molded frame about three inches wide around the perimeter. It looks original to the piece.

The chest is deeper than is typical, 24 inches, and may have been a piece for linen storage or something, rather than a bedroom piece.

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. I'll try to post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Apparently didn't get a picture taken...

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got so excited about it that I started taking it apart to work on it. The top comes off by unscrewing it from inside the chest, and once off, is just like a big picture frame. It has a panel behind the glass that can be removed by taking out strips of wood fastened with small brads. The panel was covered in a pink silk that was stained and faded, held onto the panel with tiny upholstery tacks around the edges.

The piece was made by the Pierce Furniture Co. Boston, MA. It is marked under the back panel with the maker and stamped "1960", so it's not an antique. It has nice lines though, an interesting carved trim, and Sheraton? style ring pulls. I'm debating whether to replace the glass with a solid piece of wood, or keeping it as it is with a nice fabric under the glass top. The glass seems a bit odd for a bedroom piece, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Personally, I would keep the glass top. It would be lovely with a rich off white brocade under it. Are you keeping the wood white? Something in a deeper color would look nice with wood tones.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was thinking a very light warm gray, like edgecomb gray (ben moore) and a piece of natural linen, or toile in a soft color. Here's a closer view.
    {{gwi:1391904}}

• User
    13 years ago

I remember those! The point was you could keep your decorative doily under the glass, where it stayed clean.

And you can change out the fabric or paper for a new look.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think the glass is great--easier to clean up the coffee rings!

Looks like a very useful and attractive chest.

• avadoone
    13 years ago

KEEP IT! COOL COOL COOL! I wish I found that!

This glass frame is a unique feature on a piece of furniture, from my experience, but I'm just a youngin' that loves to restore furniture and learn about antiques. Being able to change what's under that glass you open yourself up to so many more possibilities! Color, texture, material, etc. It can change with your style. Also, mentioned before, no water damage.

I always prefer to keep everything as original as possible. BUT.. If you really want the look of wood..

You could have a piece of wood to fit on top with a ledge and mitered edges with trim similar carvings as the dresser. This way it wouldn't look to disjointed, and you can change your mind later.

You could also try to carefully remove the glass. Keep it though, one day it will be antique! You can place wood in the void and paint it the same color. It might also be nice to paint it a slightly lighter color or accent color.

If you decide to modify it, I hope my ideas can inspire you to find a solution that makes you happy!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. It appears that the yellowish color was the original finish, as there is raw wood under, no stain or varnish/lacquer. I'll think I'll keep the glass and put a nice fabric under it. I've already reglued the loose veneer and started filling in some of the spots where it's missing.

It appears to be a good quality piece. The ring pulls are screwed on in the usual way, but the holes under the pulls are beveled to accomodate the parts that extend through the drawer fronts, and the pulls have a tiny nail at the bottom to keep them from spinning around. How many drawers have I seen with circular marks where the pulls spun around when the screw was loose? Also, the three drawers are graduated in size, and the decorative carvings wrap around the exterior of the three drawers as a unit, ie. the center one only has carvings at the sides, etc.

The only problem is that I may end up using it in another room as a storage piece, which means I now have to continue the search for a chest for my bedroom. I guess I'll decide when it's done where to use it. The drawers are deeper than normal, making it great for storage.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

My aunt had a glass topped table that she put photos in. She would take the glass out, and arrange them like a collage. It dated from the 1960's