Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Age of this Hoosier?

Posted by robins143 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 21:34

My daughter picked this up off of CL for $80. It is in fairly good shape, but is missing the bottom 2 doors.It was missing the original hardware. There are drawers-she just has them elsewhere to paint.
She has sanded & primed it, as someone had done a bad spray paint job on it. The owner told her that it was her mothers and from the 1930's. Could it be that old? I am guessing more early 1950's.
hoosier cabinet

Thanks,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Age of this Hoosier?

I'm going to go with your guess on the age. Have seen a lot of Hoosier's and those from 30's and earlier don't have the rounded, arched look, they are square/angular. But that's just the ones I've seen. Possibly 40's at earliest?

o

Thanks for your reply Moonshadow. She wanted one of the older ones, but they go for at least $600 in terrible shape. She finished painting it a cranberry color and now is on the hunt for hardware to match the rest of her Victorian house.

Hoosier

o

Hey, your daughter did a great job, that's really pretty!
I hear you about the price. In my area (land of where Hoosier cabs originated no less, so they aren't scarce) good ones can have an asking price of $1200. 'Decent' shape, $600-800, and they need TLC.

So I'd say your daughter scored!
Now if someone will help me out, because I'm drawing a blank, there is an online resource for all kinds of reproduction drawer pulls, knobs, etc. from various periods. Economically priced. Starts with an "r" I think, but it's not Rejuvenation...oh, it's driving me nuts...anybody know the site I'm talking about?

o

moonshadow - Van Dykes Restorers????

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Dykes

o

That's it!! Thanks, maddie! ;D

o

Oh hey, Mom. I just posted this question myself and then found your post. Haha!
I'll have to check out the Van Dyke's website!

o

Like you said, I've got your back... : )

o

There is a book about the history of Hoosiers ... I think the author was Phyllis Kennedy. They also sold a lot of hardware to go with them and replacement parts.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here