Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
der5997

Plane Blade identification help please

der5997
10 years ago

Hello again. I'm trying to identify the manufacturer of a plane blade. The logo stamped on it is nearly illegible, but what I take to be the manufacturer's info ends SOR . NY As you can see, the graphic seems to be a kangaroo, and I'm hoping that t his will assist in finding the manufacturer, and hence a time period.
I'll post a photo of the entire blade next.
Thanks.

Comments (10)

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the entire blade.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm guessing the NY might be the last part of the city of manufacture and the only larger city in NY I know of ending in sor is Windsor. It's a possible clue to start with tool manufacturers. There are a lot of James Marsh vintage hand tools on ebay, and there is a two animal logo on several I've seen. I would not be so quick to identify the picture as a kangaroo. ;-) BTW there are dedicated old tool collectors and you can find lots of sites on the web leading you to them. That's where I'd start seeing if one of them might be familiar with this. Good Luck

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I think it actually reads "sorby" a well-known English tool maker.
    Also appears to say "warranted/cast steel" I think that wording ID's as English.
    Casey

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Calliope, I wondered about Windsor NY too. BTW, If not a kangaroo, what were you thinking? I'll look around for "Old Tool Collectors" Thanks.

Casey - I'll check out the Sorby tool maker lead. Given that this museum is in Canada, a UK source for tools here in the late 19th, early 20th century (my initial guess) would not be unusual.

Many thanks gentlemen - you make this endeavour fascinating.

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a kangaroo,and it's Sorby! Robert Sorby and Sons, Sheffield, England
    From the website http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/companyinfo.htm

" In the case of Robert Sorby and Sons the factory was known as Kangaroo Works. The kangaroo itself was one of a number of registered trade marks used extensively until the 1980's. The presence of Robert Sorby in the Antipodes is further reflected by medals and diplomas of distinction awarded in both New Zealand and Australia as well as in London, Edinburgh and Calcutta.Robert Sorby left these Kangaroo Works in 1934. The building was demolished in 2008 with only the archway surviving. This has been lovingly restored and opened to the public in March 2010 as part of the Hawley Collection at Kelham Island Museum, Sheffield - www.simt.co.uk"
    and the image of the archway

You guys Rock!

• calliope
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Good solve. Please, it's helpful to list a general location on a website like this. Even if one is in the U.S. Things like sizes if a photograph. If it has been in a family for X number of years. If not, where acquired. It isn't cheating. It helps people who may not be familiar with a particular item to start tracking clues.

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope: Location of the museum the plane blade is in is Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia. Size? have a look at the gauge in the second photo (the first is a magnification of the logo in the second) Size of the arch? Guess from the bricks above it? We don't have good provenance on this blade - which makes cataloguing a bit frustrating. Many of our artifacts originated in the US, which speaks to the long-standing trade connections between the New England states and the Canadian Maritimes. This blade coming from England is in that regard a surprise - as was the discovery that a Bail Closure food storage jar similar to the others we have from Canada and the US was made by Smalley Kivlan and Othank in Yorkshire, England between 1919 and 1925! Different donor than this Sheffield produced blade though, so no help in getting at an original source.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Thank you der5997, my comments were in general, and not directed toward your post. Occasionally an enquiry will arrive with a photograph of something like a ceramic pot and from the photo we cannot tell if it's a toothpick holder or used for umbrellas. A blade for a plane is explanatory in itself. The thread evolves after lengthy back and forth conversations to details one would have found quite helpful if they knew up front. Just suggestions I should have perhaps not tacked onto your thread. One cannot assume the experience a poster has with antiques or vintage items either and it's hard to offer suggestions without worrying about either going over their heads or sounding terribly patronising. LOL. You obviously know more about this subject than I and it's neat when I see someone solve the puzzles and why multiple inputs in a forum can be so effective.

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been away for a few days Calliope, and have just read your reply. No worries! I'm learning so much in Special Interest Forums (Forae? LOL) on a wide range of artifacts; and each Forum seems to work a little bit differently. I keep them all bookmarked because one never knows when I'll need to drop back in with another question.
    [quote]Occasionally an enquiry will arrive with a photograph of something like a ceramic pot and from the photo we cannot tell if it's a toothpick holder or used for umbrellas.[/quote] I hear you loud and clear, which is why our Association of Nova Scotia Museums likes us to use that nifty "CSI" gauge thing (just Googled it - it's a Photomacrographic scale, told you I'm learning lots) in photos to avoid just such confusion. But I ramble; all this to say thanks for your help.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

A plane blade is a replaceable item, therefore the blade and the plane may not be manufactured by the same firm. someone has nicely identified your blade. Examine the plane carefully for any maker's marks. If you can discover that the plane is made by the same company as the blade, this would be nice.